crankcase breather box burnt

So i was putting my drz400sm back together and took it for a spin. I forgot to put the bolt holding the crankcase breather box back on. The exhaust burned a hole though it and I had to ride it home with air and what looked like oil coming out. Is there any way i can just seal up the box and ride or do i need to order a whole other box?

The box isn't really even necessary..it just routes blow by into the airbox and oil back to the motor...but most dirt bikes just route the hose to the air box or even to the atmosphere...depends on how enviornmenatally correct you care to be!

26 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I have tried teeing the lines and running without. The bike WILL constantly loose oil.

If you run the T up high most of the oil should drain back to the motor.  Personally I just made a smaller aluminum canister for my sm that does the job just fine and looks cleaner too.

• Like 2

This guy replaced his box with Jegs crankcase breathers mounted inside his airbox. Kinda crazy. How do these work?

17636743_1325425987551012_5636943161936127287_o.jpg

Like others, I've run a T piece on mine and routed the outlet hose up and over the subframe and to atmosphere to the left hand side of the bike. I have never seen a drop of oil.

Cleaned the area up nicely. Better access to the carb, better access to the rear spring for preload adjustments. Win win win!

You need a contained volume to condense the oil vapor to a liquid.  That is why the breather box has reticulated foam  (open cell).  Every 4 stroke engine has blow by. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 6:00 PM, lakeportmike said:

If you run the T up high most of the oil should drain back to the motor.  Personally I just made a smaller aluminum canister for my sm that does the job just fine and looks cleaner too.

Got a pic? I'm interested in running one too!

• Like 1

When there was a hole in it there was an oily mist blowing on the exhaust. I wouldn't want to constantly run a bike losing all that oil.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Bermudacat said:

Sorry...I've been on vacation and just saw this post...I'll try to get a pic posted soon.

• Like 1

I lost a bit of oil from the airbox yesterday from wheelies. It freaked me the &%$#@! out! I topped off and made it home. 

Now I gotta wash the bike, filter, and take the airboot off to clean. :/

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Bermudacat said:

post-262190-14299219260316.jpg

• Like 2