Just purchased a TX300

Couple of reasons for this post...

First, after really struggling to pull the trigger, I bought a TX300 this week. Had to go to Austin to get it. I'm super excited about this bike, and can't wait to ride it after reading what's posted here. I have to wait until Sunday, and it's going to kill me. I haven't had a 2-stroke in my adult life. So, this was a big leap for me.

I have really enjoyed my four strokes for the past 11 years or so (since I got into trail riding). However, after moving to Louisiana from CA, the CRF450X has seemed too heavy and certainly less than optimal for the single track pine forest riding here. Rarely is there an opportunity for that bike to stretch its legs. Thus, I wanted to go completely to the opposite end of the spectrum, but without losing too much of the "power on tap" that I've become so accustomed to. I wanted something light and flickable with a lower center of gravity, capable of lugging through the slow stuff, but still had guts when you want to grab a hand full of throttle.

I'm hoping I made the right call.

Second part... just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the info that is shared on this site. I'll likely be frequenting the this Husky 2-stroke forum as often as I have scoured the CRF450X forum in the past.

From the ride around the dealer's back yard, the jetting is producing a gurgling hesitation in the bottom and lower mid-range... I'll take advantage of the intel here to get that sorted out, and will post my results.

I'll likely do the carb mods, and JD jet it. And will likely hold off on the air box mods unless I really feel like it's necessary. Was also looking at doing the V-force 4R reeds/cage. Are the stock reeds as bad as some say? Have any of you actually had the reeds break and get sucked into the engine, like the guys selling the aftermarket reeds are saying?

Other than that, I went ahead and ordered a 4.8 RaceTech spring, as I'm around 220lbs with gear.

I cannot wait to get this bike in the woods!

• Like 2

I would do the Mototassinari Vforce reeds. Secondly, I would get the jetting sorted out... After this, ride and enjoy.....

• Like 2

I'm still in break in period on mine (2 hours total on it so far) amazing out in the hills just crawling up old closed dnr road digouts. i went ahead and installed the JD jets and needle per their guide and just initial fire up is noticeably more crispy (dropping down to 30 pilot from stock 37.5 in my case i think helped most)

Very nimble bike though, i installed a gpr 4 stabalizer as well so getting used to that being my first one on a bike. sped down some fire trail with deep rocky puddles and hit them floated over like i was a pro in the SX whoops! i cant wait to see how it handles on a track that's not under water up in the northwest

Im holding off on stiffer spring in hopes i trim weight, but setting my sag to roughly 105mm and running air pressure at 132-134lbs is what im going to run for my upcoming race.

How did it go? Im moving from kx450f and from moto to HS in NE. About to pick up a 2017 tx300 left over. Should I pull the trigger?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jamie Keefer said:

How did it go? Im moving from kx450f and from moto to HS in NE. About to pick up a 2017 tx300 left over. Should I pull the trigger?

Yes!

• Like 1

Great choice!  I have a 18 TX300 with just over 6 hours now and its definitely the best bike ive owned to date.

I went ahead and did the V-force reeds with a JD jet kit per his jetting instructions and my bike is crisp and clean.  Its very noticeably cleaner and crisper than my buddies 18 300XC with just the V-force reeds. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jamie Keefer said:

The Megura Brakes that much better than Brembo? I am getting a 2017 left over that's seems to be the only major difference.

2018 got better jetting (means nothing) tilted carb (means nothing) valving changes, magura brakes and reinforced kickstarter idler gear mounts in the engine case. there has been a few people having kick starter issues with 17's. other than that they the same

• Like 1

Jd kit, v force reeds. Dont mod the airbox jd tested it and said it didnt make a difference. I just hit 7 hours on mine. Its the only bike ive ever owned that i miss riding a day after i ride it

• Like 3

The kickstarter idler gear looks like trouble. Gonna look for a 2018, time is on my side.

I would hesitate to cut the airbox. point taken.

Edited by Jamie Keefer

16 hours ago, Jamie Keefer said:

The kickstarter idler gear looks like trouble. Gonna look for a 2018, time is on my side.

I would hesitate to cut the airbox. point taken.

I haven't touched my airbox, no issues here. 

• Like 1

2019 tx 300, stock was pretty good but jetting was finicki. Drilled holes in float bowl plug/chamber and baffle and jetting issues disappeared. Sea level 27.5pj, jd red 2nd clip, 440mj, as 1out. Cant really see how the bike could run better....but then i saw my reeds at 20hrs, v-force is the same junk design, 3 pieces which is a lot of room for leaks. I bought the rad valve and believe it was a great addition. Same smooth bottom, cleaner pull, more mid-top end. Dinged the stock pipe, bought fmf fatty works with a 2.1 powercore. Quiet. Quieter then stock. Cant explain the beauty of the sound, will never piss anyone off and runs at least as good as stock, maybe more moto type easy bottom linear and very progressive flow of power. Fast ass bike.
After carb work, set your float to level. You wont need the band-aid high float any longer. Itll save a 1/4 gallon an hour.20190306_144635.jpeg20190213_062124.jpeg20190130_180838.jpeg