WP Xplor 48mm forks

Alright... I've got 13 hours on these forks so far ( 300 xcw ) already blown the compression leg oil seal.

IMG_2598.JPG

I'm almost positive it was dirt/sand getting past my dust seals or possibly a nick/scratch or scuff on my lower fork tube.

Or.... just bottoming out the forks, I'm really not sure. Anyway I was still within my 30 day warranty so KTM is going to replace the oil seal for free. Cool....

Either way I want to get these forks DIALED! They do feel soft and sometimes kind of harsh when the speed picks up.... ( unfortunately) and I hate to say it but I am noticing a decent amount of brake dive. I've got everything set "PRO" clicker wise....

Where do you guys get your WP Xplor 48's revalved?

KreftMoto revalve control ?

Still well?

Dal soggio?

I found this video yesterday really explains what I've been experiencing with these forks I think....

What exactly is that video supposed to show us? That one leg has a reb, the other doesnt?! Woooohoooo!

• Like 1

What exactly is that video supposed to show us? That one leg has a reb, the other doesnt?! Woooohoooo!

I was assuming that it was the same leg....and they stopped it from pogo sticking... idk I'm not a suspension guy.. WooooooHooooo!

So he what?  added WAY too much rebound to the compression side fork?  looks like he doesn't understand these forks to me.  OOOR he pulled a fast one and swapped out fork legs when the video cut.  Seems about right for the rebound leg since it controls both springs (but only one when off the bike)

• Like 1

So he what?  added WAY too much rebound to the compression side fork?  looks like he doesn't understand these forks to me.  OOOR he pulled a fast one and swapped out fork legs when the video cut.  Seems about right for the rebound leg since it controls both springs (but only one when off the bike)

Honesty I don't really care about this guy in the vid at all. I shouldn't have added that video. I'm really just not happy with the forks.. I just want to know where to have them worked on....

If your over 180lbs or are a aggressive rider you're going to need stiffer Springs.  Ktm may or may not cover the seal . Hopefully your dealer has a good relationship with KTM. 

Setting up suspension is personal and subjective. It took me the last couple of years to understand what i like in a fork. 

• Like 1

If your over 180lbs or are a aggressive rider you're going to need stiffer Springs.  Ktm may or may not cover the seal . Hopefully your dealer has a good relationship with KTM. 

Setting up suspension is personal and subjective. It took me the last couple of years to understand what i like in a fork. 

Thanks for the response.. my dealer confirmed that ktm USA is going to replace the seal for FREE.... Even though they said oil seals aren't covered under warranty..but they will fix the problem out of "good will" props to KTM.. and I'm good on my springs for my weight. It's the brake dive and harshness when I pick up speed I want to fix.

Edit I am an aggressive rider btw

6 minutes ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

Thanks for the response.. my dealer confirmed that ktm USA is going to replace the seal for FREE...emoji1303.png. Even though they said oil seals aren't covered under warranty..but they will fix the problem out of "good will" props to KTM.. and I'm good on my springs for my weight. It's the brake dive and harshness when I pick up speed I want to fix.

Have you maxed the clickers before looking into carts/valving?

Sounds like it's packing...

harrperf sounds like he knows these forks already:

"The xplor is a rebranded open chamber fork much like the older pre bladder fork bikes.

It uses essentially the same fork tubes as the 4cs (inner/outer tubes) with what you can call ktm 85 fork internals. 

Its an open chamber design with adjustable spring preload on the main caps , non adjustable base valve bleed (bottom) and what they call adjustable rebound/compression. one fork is "normal" the other uses a mid valve design that doesnt do much, all rebound valving is housed in one fork side. 

For our baja bike we removed the "bad" midvalve and replaced it with the matching mid valve from the other fork. This requires the rebound adjustment needle, stem post, and mid valve plus shims.

This allows both forks to contribute damping equally. This isnt strictly necessary we almost went purely assymetric with NO damping in on leg and all the other but for now we didnt.

To start off tuning... the average consumer could remove only "rebound" fork base valve by turning the fork upside down carefully and not draining fluid... and add shims or remove to get a direction they prefer for the future. This could be done quickly and cheaply...and highly effective."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

Thanks for the response.. my dealer confirmed that ktm USA is going to replace the seal for FREE...emoji1303.png. Even though they said oil seals aren't covered under warranty..but they will fix the problem out of "good will" props to KTM.. and I'm good on my springs for my weight. It's the brake dive and harshness when I pick up speed I want to fix.

Are you sure you're good on the springs? If its diving and then feeling harsh sounds like there to soft. 

• Like 1

Are you sure you're good on the springs? If its diving and then feeling harsh sounds like there to soft. 

I think I'm really close.... im right around 175 without gear. Maybe that's the problem plus aggressive riding.... and yes casingdaily I've messed with the clickers a ton..... didn't seem to do much.

What springs are std

STD?? What's that standard I'm guessing.... I'm not sure

Thanks again everyone! I feel like a dummy for not thinking about swapping springs before sending them out for re valving...