Bubbling tank graphics

Whats the proper way to prep a tank for graphics and keep them from bubbling.

I have 2 clark tanks, which I have non perforated graphics on one of them.  They were perfect on there for 2 weeks, but this week they started bubbling and delaminating from the tank.

I believe I cleaned the tank with soap and water, then lightly sanded tank with 400 wet.

Is there a better way to do this?    or should I put lots of tiny holes on the other tank / new graphic after installing?

burrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Plastic is porous. Gas fumes will also be releasing slowly and bubble the graphics on your tank. A lot of guys (including myself) skip on putting graphics on gas tanks for this very reason. The easiest solution is to remove them.

• Like 1

Whats the proper way to prep a tank for graphics and keep them from bubbling.

I have 2 clark tanks, which I have non perforated graphics on one of them.  They were perfect on there for 2 weeks, but this week they started bubbling and delaminating from the tank.

I believe I cleaned the tank with soap and water, then lightly sanded tank with 400 wet.

Is there a better way to do this?    or should I put lots of tiny holes on the other tank / new graphic after installing?

burrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Or buy a proper kit today has little cuts out of the gas tank sticker every like millimeter for this reason

1 hour ago, Kibmj43 said:

Or buy a proper kit today has little cuts out of the gas tank sticker every like millimeter for this reason

Still doesn't work in the long run.  Ask any owner of an XR.

• Like 2

Still doesn't work in the long run.  Ask any owner of an XR.

Well then they aren't applying them right . I have 4 bikes all with ufo graphics that have the slots in them. If properly installed they shouldn't bubble.

Just now, Kibmj43 said:

Well then they aren't applying them right . I have 4 bikes all with ufo graphics that have the slots in them. If properly installed they shouldn't bubble.

Plastic is porous to a small degree.  Its the gassing out through the plastic that does it.  They last for awhile, then eventually start coming off.

• Like 1

Plastic is porous to a small degree.  Its the gassing out through the plastic that does it.  They last for awhile, then eventually start coming off.

Had 2 sets on since 08............ how are you prepping the tank and the plastics? How are you keeping it clean? I promise it's not the plastics

14 minutes ago, Kibmj43 said:

Had 2 sets on since 08............ how are you prepping the tank and the plastics? How are you keeping it clean? I promise it's not the plastics

Soap and water, then alcohol for any remaining residue.  This has been a complaint of XR owners since they started making XRs.

• Like 1

Idk then could be something in the paint on xrs or something idk my bikes have never had this problem but I only have race bikes

14 minutes ago, Kibmj43 said:

Idk then could be something in the paint on xrs or something idk my bikes have never had this problem but I only have race bikes

I think what it is is the big flat sides of the tank promote the gassing out over a large area.

• Like 1

The bubbling depends alot on climate, store an xr in a garage that gets to 120 often during the summer and they will be on the ground when you open it in fall. Put a non perforated sticker on a gas tank somewhere where the temperature stays below 50 degrees and it will last years

Sorry, not being a doucher but still disagree, I live in East TH and my basement easily gets 120 in early May and I lived in Gunnison Colorado last year And temp got down - 45ish sometimes at night and my stickers are fine in both places

may is the hot month where you live?

No but it got up to 120 once last may, July is generally the hottest here....

1 hour ago, Wild Alaskan said:

The bubbling depends alot on climate, store an xr in a garage that gets to 120 often during the summer and they will be on the ground when you open it in fall. Put a non perforated sticker on a gas tank somewhere where the temperature stays below 50 degrees and it will last years

Exactly what happened to me last summer.  We get into the upper 90s a little bit in the summer, and the bikes are in a shed.  I opened the door and lo and behold one of my XR tank stickers was laying on the floor.  The glue had liquified.

• Like 1

Exactly what happened to me last summer.  We get into the upper 90s a little bit in the summer, and the bikes are in a shed.  I opened the door and lo and behold one of my XR tank stickers was laying on the floor.  The glue had liquified.

Dang idk may be my stickers just stuck really good