Do cams change the exhaust note? Base gasket compression?

Hiya!, - I've got an S that still has the pokey little S cams in it. I'm wondering, will more aggressive cams make it sound different? I'm thinking cams on the level of E / current Hot Cams Stage 2, i.e. just normal non-diluted cams.

Is the compression increase from the thinner base gasket also audible?

I've read somewhere that part of what makes Ducatis sound so good are the aggressive cams they can use by virtue of the active valve control desmodromic system. I really like the sound of the bike as it is now - I lucked out and got a really nice french CRD titanium full system on it that sounds deeeeeeep but not too loud - but it's not the BEST sounding single-cylinder bike I've heard go by. I'm still haunted by a 2007 or so Husqvarna supermoto I heard downtown a few years ago. Crazy aggressive note. Each combustion event very distinct and cut in stone, deep and tumbling, but not crazy loud. Interested in how that effect is obtained. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I've never heard of cams affecting exhaust note... thinking outside the box again Anthon?

• Like 3

HC 1's did not, properly tuned CVK40 and MRD exhaust did.

Need to run a jetting rodeo again, the Schnitz needle is rich and the fuel screw has minimum effect.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Anthon Berg said:

I'm wondering, will more aggressive cams make it sound different?

Is the compression increase from the thinner base gasket also audible?

I've read somewhere that part of what makes Ducatis sound so good are the aggressive cams they can use by virtue of the active valve control desmodromic system. I really like the sound of the bike as it is now  Interested in how that effect is obtained. Any thoughts?

Yes.

Bigger cams = bigger power = bigger sound.

More overlap, more duration open, more sound.

Ducatis sound so awesome because they are an odd-fire v-twin. Same reason Harley-Davidsons sound so unique.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Yes.

Bigger cams = bigger power = bigger sound.

More overlap, more duration open, more sound.

Ducatis sound so awesome because they are an odd-fire v-twin. Same reason Harley-Davidsons sound so unique.

Excellent!

I've been scouring youtube for hints ... No single-cylinder before/after cam sound captures. Quite a few Harleys though. There's a big difference in the lopey lumpy idle, but also in the tone of each exhaust pulse. I think she'll sound nicer with some cams in her. Gonna grab some this summer!

• Like 2

You are not going to hear any change unless you went from having a MRD open pipe on a stock S to a big bore/stroker/RHC/FCR open air box. Cams alone will not change the sound, nor will the base gasket. Like a garden hose in the waves crashing on the beach.

• Like 2

I had switched to the TEC-SA from the TEC-SB in my Yoshi with my stock cams, and I polled my riding buddies for sound. They claimed it was still pretty quiet. Once I switched to the 2003IN and 2048EX, they offered their opinion with no solicitation, "Man, your bike is loud!"

Same deal with a buddies Harley; bigger cams made the bike significantly louder. Bigger exhaust pulses make bigger shock waves. Without more damping you will have more sound because there is more flow. Simple physics. :thumbsup:

Anyone who is claiming the this isn't true, is claiming their bike is no louder at idle, than is is at full throttle. :rolleyes:

I agree.  More over lap, more duration, earlier valve opening more noise out the pipe.  Same for more compression.  Is it noticeable? That is another question.

On 4/21/2017 at 4:05 AM, Anthon Berg said:

Hiya!, -  I lucked out and got a really nice french CRD titanium full system on it that sounds deeeeeeep . Interested in how that effect is obtained. Any thoughts?

28 minutes ago, Noble said:

I agree.  More over lap, more duration, earlier valve opening more noise out the pipe.  Same for more compression.  Is it noticeable? That is another question.

Just a hunch, based on my own experiences. ;)

• Like 1