09 crf450r top end rebuild.. Dry rebuild or???

Getting ready to do my first rebuild and I'm torn between what method to go with.. The more research I do the more confused I get. Some say dry and some say use some oil? Common sense would tell me to use a light coating of oil but than on the other hand going dry would help the rings seat better? But at the same time I feel like the rings would scuff my cylinder up.. I'm lost.. Also what should I use to lube the cam gear up? And for anyone that's used the Honda oem top end gasket kit for the 09 give me some insight on where the gaskets go? I know where most of them go like the base the head and the valve cover.. it's the little o rings and the little washer and a bigger metal o ring that I'm stumped on. Also came with an exhaust gasket as well. Thanks in advance! ??✊??

Not sure about the gaskets, but definitely use some oil. You don't have to soak them, but just dab your finger in and wipe the cylinder, the rings, and piston down before you put it all in.

You don't want it to be dry when you first start it up ?

• Like 2

I used oil on my rebuild. Never want a dry piston in a dry cylinder. We have oil squirters for the piston bottom so under normal operation the cylinder gets plenty of oil wash down. Rings will seat wet just fine.

Factory service manual says use oil always go by the FSM for stuff like that. Not worth the he said this guess work when it's your engine not theirs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jblob said:

I used oil on my rebuild. Never want a dry piston in a dry cylinder. We have oil squirters for the piston bottom so under normal operation the cylinder gets plenty of oil wash down. Rings will seat wet just fine.

Factory service manual says use oil always go by the FSM for stuff like that. Not worth the he said this guess work when it's your engine not theirs. 

Thanks for the input man! 

Honda themselves and every engine builder I talked to in my area said use a light coat of oil on everything.  This is what I did and I've had zero issues in 70 hours.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 96motorhead said:

Honda themselves and every engine builder I talked to in my area said use a light coat of oil on everything.  This is what I did and I've had zero issues in 70 hours.

So light coating on rings and around the cylinder? 

The FSM for my 05 goes as far as specifying which parts get normal oil and which get moly oil. I'd pick one up for your bike they are an indispensable tool for making sure you are doing everything right