Where to get a damaged dirt bike seat restored or reconstructed?

I have a 1989 KTM 350 that I'm reconditioning. Its complete and over all in good condition except for one big problem. The seat was destroyed by an animal at some point in the past. Nearly half the foam is ripped out.

I've looked at used seats on eBay, but haven't found one that I like enough to buy with out inspecting it in person.  I'm not to keen on the quality of work that the local upholstery shop does on bike seats either. I could do better myself.

I'm sure there is someone out there that can restore or reconstruct this seat. The pan is not damaged, and there is enough of the original vinyl left to make a pattern for a new one, at least I think so.  I'd also prefer to have a gripper top surface instead of the original slippery top, and reinforcements along the front edges where it meets the tank, because it was showing wear in that area. 

Surely someone in the TT community knows a vendor that can do this. 

I went to the Joann fabric in my area and got a meter of marine vinal; 

The stuff is good from -30* up to the 120* range so well within my riding temps. All i did was fill the holes in my seat with some new foam and used electrical tape to hold it down and seal it up. After that, i just stretched the marine vinal over the existing seat and cover and stapled it all down with medium duty stable gun and 3/8'' staples.

Since i left the original cover on, it was just like a new layer added on top and if i messed it, it was real easy to just roll back to the previous state. That being said, i got it all together in about a hour and have never looked back - still holding strong a year later

Looks great and was dirt cheap. Good luck!

Edited by RC_ichard

There are a lot of upholstery shops near me and one even specializes in cycle seats, both custom and OEM style.  But they are SPENDY. Is there nowhere you can buy replacement foam and a gripper cover?  You sound like a candidate for a do-it-yourself project.

I ripped a big hole in the seat of my old ATK. Not much chance of finding a seat cover so I went down to the local car upholstery place, gave the guy the seat, two days later had a seat that looked brand new. The price? $35.00 !

• Like 3

Took a chance and ordered aftermarket cover for 98 KTM MXC. Fit my 98 Atk 260. Needed front caliper kit could not get anyone to cross ref....$20 gamble, 98 KTM 250 MXC rebuild kit = exact replacement. "American Dirt Bike" Calif. is best source for ATK/Rotax parts. He had kicker shaft and piston in stock last yr.

wilseyville 07.jpg

Edited by superscrambler
left out text
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, superscrambler said:

Took a chance and ordered aftermarket cover for 98 KTM MXC. Fit my 98 Atk 260. Needed front caliper kit could not get anyone to cross ref....$20 gamble, 98 KTM 250 MXC rebuild kit = exact replacement. "American Dirt Bike" Calif. is best source for ATK/Rotax parts. He had kicker shaft and piston in stock last yr.

wilseyville 07.jpg

Not many of those chest protectors left esp with the elbow-forearm pieces.

Edited by YHGEORGE

5a558fadad202_wilseyville07.jpg.c4100d3fa2c61fe0eec6e7de9ab600f7.jpg

Bitchen’ Pic! Reminds me of an old pic of Terry Cunningham I cut out of a Dirt Bike magazine I had hanging on my wall as a kid.