2016 RM85, good woods bike? What to do???

I have a "in pieces" a 2002 RM85 I gathered up for around $500.  I also have a big wheel conversion setup I grabbed for about $250.  The bike needs a new crank and cylinder head redone.  Frame is a bit rusty here and there with surface rust, but not too bad. I can either rebuild this or get a 2016 for $2800 brand new out the door and swap the big wheel stuff on to it.  I don't ride a whole heck of a lot, but, I am stuck on having something all brand new.  Sadly, my frugal side is resisting, and holding out so far.

I am interested in the RM as I hear it has/had great low end out of all the other bikes.  I am not expecting 4 stroke power or anything, but, like said, the best out of all the other smokers.  Now, I am not sure it matters through the years or not, but, is the 2016 RM85 one of the better low end pulling motors/bikes?

• Like 1

For a 85cc 2 stroke it does have low end power, but for a woods bike you could do a lot better.  The bigger problem is that all 85cc 2 strokes have small gas tanks, that will definitely limit how far your going to go.  That's why it would make more sense to get at least a 125, lot's of companies of over size tanks for those.

Exactly how do you plan on riding this (just woods?) and how big are you?  I'm partly thinking that you should just fix the bike up and sell it, then apply that towards a more appropriate woods bike.

Hey zig06, yes, I agree that if it was to just pick something that is correct, I would actually go with a 250.  Sadly, I am kind of in love with the flickability of the RM85L size, as my current bike is a CR80RB which handles what I do pretty darn good (90% perfect for what I do), but, if the RM does it better, then I don't mind switching teams. 

Your also correct about the gas tank.  I have not checked capacity between the CR I have and the RM, but, if the RM is smaller, I am def in trouble.  I get about 3 1/2 - 4 hours ride time with the CR.  Not bad, but, I better be home by then or else.

As for me, I am 5' 9" 130lbs. 

The little RM has the best torque/low-end of any of the 85s, next being the KX.

While the suspension and ergos are outdated, in the woods the bike can be really good... for an 85, lol.

Looking at options, not being afraid to tinker and taking zig06's advice, I was wondering about maybe taking a 125 and shrinking it down to use the  16B/19F tire combination along with a little fork/shock adjusting?  I want something I can easily reach the ground with in the woods.  The CR80 big wheel I have is perfect.  125 stock are too big for me to have "fun" with the way I like to ride, but, a larger gas tank and a little more leg room does sound nice.  

Hey Husa, I was heading in that direction, but, being I only thought of it in the last 12 hours, I have not found much on it.  I have read a bit on it, but have not found any actual builds or seen pictures...................................yet.

I found a picture.  Okay, this might be a little "too" lowered though!?

lowered yz.jpg

Edited by sikpupy
  • Like 1

Blue bikes do that, on the average color chart "blue" is on the heavy side ~ the smart OEM's stay away from it.

• Like 1

Hey Husa, I was heading in that direction, but, being I only thought of it in the last 12 hours, I have not found much on it.  I have read a bit on it, but have not found any actual builds or seen pictures...................................yet.

Have a riding bud who set a YZ125 up nicely for his wife. Lowered 2" and motor work to increase low end. Some porting, flywheel weight and a custom pipe (adding headpipe length increases torque/low end.) She's now in a 250f, but this was back before the 4-stroke revolution.