Sign in to follow this  

2012 WR450 vs 2016 WR450

I'm looking at a few WR450F's... One's a 2012, (Gen 5) one's a 2016 (Gen 6).

Is the new rearward slanting YZ engine really worth justifying almost $4000 more to get the newer 2016 over a de-restricted 2012 gen 5?

I've ridden a 2012 WR450F briefly for a few miles and it seemed pretty nice to me; my only complaint is that it seemed like the pegs were way too high in relationship to the seat -- as in, it took much more effort for me to get on the pegs than I would have liked, and it didn't feel instinctive like it did on other bikes I've owned. This may be fixed by a taller seat (which I really can't afford to do since I've got a 30" leg inseam lol) or a peg lowering kit or something. I'd also ditch the stock gearing for something better suited for dual sporting, as first was almost uncontrollable in the tight single track. I had a really hard time keeping my front end down. 

I've heard lots of praise about the new WR450F being absolutely incredible; even rivaling the KTM 450 EXC. How does the 2012-2015 model compare, and what exactly changed? From what I've gathered, more linear power, weight centralization and slimmer design with the tank under the seat, higher air filter and new engine of course, but in browsing I've seen mention of a wider ratio transmission also? Can anyone verify? 

Also, which is easier to work on? Just finding it hard to justify almost double the cost unless there's really a night and day difference. 

I have a 2012 WR450F, and a 2016 YZ450FX.  I'm guessing the engine characteristics on the WR vs the FX is about the only difference.  The FX turns a little better, but I can switch between each bike and not much difference.  I mostly notice when I'm pushing it up the ramp into my truck.. the WR feels real heavy.  As far as engine goes regarding your question, I have no idea what a new WR feels like.  If the price difference is $4k, I'd get the older WR (new / barely ridden?).  I prefer riding my WR over the FX, but I will get the suspension figured out on the FX one of these days and maybe that will change.  Actually, I like the WR motor better for what I do, so maybe not.

The Gen 6 is hands down superior in every way over the Gen 5.

Construction quality improvements are immediately noticable.

Handling improvements are by far the biggest change. The Gen 6 feels 30 lbs lighter, and is more compliant, while being less vauge.