Fixing what isn't broken (water pump).

2003 KLX400SR with almost 30K miles on it, all the loctite fixes, etc, great shape.

I am taking a long 2 week trip around Colorado this Summer and before I go I will be installing a kick starter and checking out the clutch.

My water pump has never weeped, dripped or leaked.  I have a Hot Rods rebuild kit in hand........should I fix what isn't broken or leave it alone?  I want to make sure I get a lot more trouble-free miles from this motor.

Edit: installing all new radiator hoses, thermostat and cap too.

Thanks

-mtnpat

Edited by mtnpat

It kind of depends on what type riding you will be doing, and your access to overnight shipping.  

I have a 2006 DRZ-E with probably less miles (no odometer). I have had to replace both the water pump and stator last year.

Old Engineering saying, "If it isn't broken take it apart to find out why.":rolleyes:   I watched several videos about water pump rebuilds.  In most of those they broke something during the rebuild, usually the ceramic seal.  I opted for a new OEM pump when mine started leaking.  It was a very easy swap.   A rebuild takes skills and tools I don't have. 

If I were planning on riding in very remote areas, I would put a new pump to replace the 14 year old, 30K mile, pump.

Alternatively:

If the pump start weeping just keep the H2O level topped up.

If the pump starts leaking into the crankcase... then hiking becomes an option.

Edited by CaptCapsize

For a long trip I'd probably get a new assembly and put it in , but otherwise wait till it leaks and then put it in . I rebuilt mine on my stroker motor ,the seals need care and correct sized "pushers" to press in nice and straight and without distorting. Probably best to just buy a whole new assembly or a very low mile example off ebay if there is one and it's cheap.

• Like 1

I have plenty of miles on mine, but will replace when it breaks. I was reading about an aftermarket impeller, anyone know if these are really that useful?

On 4/21/2017 at 11:05 AM, HansLanda said:

I have plenty of miles on mine, but will replace when it breaks. I was reading about an aftermarket impeller , anyone know if these are really that useful?

Does your bike overheat?

I would buy one just for the what if i brake one. If its not broken don't fix it but when you get out to CO you might hit a rock and crack the case for the pump.

Thanks for all the informed responses, its great to be able to get others opinions on stuff like this.

Yes I'm going to be riding all over the Rocky Mtns in CO but my bike has been super reliable, as others have said, no leaky petcock, no leaky water pump, no overheating.  Bike has loctite fixes and a manual cam chain tensioner and have always run 10 or 15w50 Silkolene.  Have only had to put in a new stator as far as things that might fail go.  Bike now has a kick starter too that it didn't have before!

Anyway, as far as the water pump and the Hot Rods rebuild kit I had in hand (which I'm sure is very nice), I decided not to fix what wasn't broken.  I checked the impeller spin and it was super smooth with no measureable play....leave it be.

I think I did the more important parts (replacing 14 year old parts), the radiator hoses, thermostat and radiator cap.

Thanks again

-mtnpat

Edited by mtnpat