Sign in to follow this  

2016 Rmz 450 any good?

Lots of good deals on carry overs. I like the looks and feel of sitting on them. But the reviews are bad on them. Are they as bad as they say? I am a c class rider, and ride mostly on a sand track. Any insight be great. Thanks.

I can't recall any bad reviews, they haven't kept up with some of the stuff other manufacturers are doing but it doesn't make them bad, the core of the rmz is the best bike on the track, everything else IMO can be added / changed to suit the rider.

you will be very happy with the rmz, air forks maybe or maybe not but they are on other bikes also

• Like 3

Owner of a 16 model here . Biggest hurdle will be figuring out the correct air pressure for the Fork  . Best advice given to me was inner pressure +outer pressure =balance pressure . with that said the bike is awesome . tailers to your profile. whether it be a soft plush front ,semi or firm  .Its all dealt with an air pump . Keep in mind what you do with the front affects the back and you want a good balance .Aside from that though , A left over buy with a great deal you'll be happy with the RMZ .If your looking for cutting edge I might wait and see how the 18 model works out .

Where are you finding these bad reviews? The RMZ is a great bike and a very capable bike at that. Just like the rest of the 450's when used for their intended application.

I would be hard pressed to believe that many, if ANY of the riders on this forum could call any of the current 450's a bad bike. I know some damn fast riders and none of them can ride a 450 to its full potential. It's all about finding one that does the little things you are looking for. 

To make things short and sweet... a fast guy will be fast on any current bike. A slow guy will be slow on any current bike. 

• Like 2

Well I'm coming off a yz250 two stroke and want something different. Will I notice the extra weight and how is the power compared to the two stroke?

I have a yz250 and a 2016 rmz450 aswell. The rmz power is a very smooth and mellow 450 with still plenty of power, much smoother and less jumpy in ruts than the yz. You will notice the weight, but that goes with any 450. Imo it's much easier to corner. Revalved the sff air forks are ok with the right setting but no kyb sss. When it's setup right it's an amazing handling bike

I am another owner of both! The RMZ will out handle the Yz all day! Having said that, I turn the same lap times on both but can sustain longer on the RMZ. It is just a bike that is VERY easy to ride. 

• Like 2

Now it's a toss up between the 2016 rmz 450 or I found a 2017 kxf 450 for a good price. Now who has ridden both? Can u give any pointers on both bikes good and bad. I'm around 160lbs geared up 5'5" tall, and ride mostly a sand track, with some free riding and trails. Thanks

Have a friend about your statue and has a 17 kx450 . He likes it .  I noticed the stock suspension is better then the RMZ stock . we have gone full thottle side by side and match about the same in power delivery  But his turning is wider where I cut the inside and boom ! I'm pacing him and passing if wanted too . 
 If in your shoes the rmz is the pick .

• Like 1

I got the chance to ride a 2016 rmz 450, I could not believe the torque it had, and so easy to ride. The power delivery was so smooth compared to my 250 two stroke. I couldn't tell the extra weight while riding it, maybe because I felt so comfortable on it and it felt like a small narrow bike. Suspension was set up for a 180lb pro, so it felt way to stiff. But other then that I'm sold on the rmz!

• Like 3

I think too many people take the "mellow" engine review and in their mind they think it's going to be like a corked up green sticker wr450 or something. It's still a very very quick bike and more than the buying public needs to worry about, in fact, if you are buying a 450 it's probably the best one due to engine that works so well/easily. Everyone thinks they need the fastest, highest hp machine, but that could mean a actually slower lap for many. It ain't that big of a difference between them all, really.If you're a novice you got nothing to worry about. Suzukis have won the handling part of shootouts for years, despite usually placing lower in reviews, handling is something that would be hard to get another bike to do as well. As said above the lower reviews usually come from the bike being mostly unchanged, not because it's bad. If you read closely they say it's the best vet/novice bike too usually. I've had no quality issues with my rmz

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RawbW said:

I think too many people take the "mellow" engine review and in their mind they think it's going to be like a corked up green sticker wr450 or something. It's still a very very quick bike and more than the buying public needs to worry about, in fact, if you are buying a 450 it's probably the best one due to engine that works so well/easily. Everyone thinks they need the fastest, highest hp machine, but that could mean a actually slower lap for many. It ain't that big of a difference between them all, really.If you're a novice you got nothing to worry about. Suzukis have won the handling part of shootouts for years, despite usually placing lower in reviews, handling is something that would be hard to get another bike to do as well. As said above the lower reviews usually come from the bike being mostly unchanged, not because it's bad. If you read closely they say it's the best vet/novice bike too usually. I've had no quality issues with my rmz

Well said, it only takes a few fairly minor mods to pump good HP out of the Zuke motor. If you have a few hundred to throw at the motor and fuel issues, you can pump some serious HP out of the bike. My mod motor is extremely fast while remaining VERY usable. 

• Like 2

@BDubb106

i have a pipe and filter on my 06, and feel like the motor is perfect with it for me. I think it would be the best 450 for most stock, as most 450 owners ain't touching what their stock bikes are capable of anyway

Great bike! I have a 15 which is pretty much the same as the 16's, and second what everyone is saying on here.  You will mostly notice the weight difference when taking it off the stand.  The bike is so easy to sustain a good pace on, the low to mid power is strong yet smooth.  I have pulled starts on mine bone stock just fine against the other "faster" brands.  Any 450 these day's are amazing bikes, but none corner like a Suzuki.

• Like 2

At the end of 2015, I bought a new bike having been without a ride for 3 years.  I went with a left-over 2014 YZ 250 and love it, but I really thought I would mostly be doing off-road and GP/grass track type of riding.  Turns that all I do is track days and even did one race last year, so MX is my deal.  I could have bought a new  RMZ for $ 5999 ( 250 was $4999) but went with the new smoker for $4500...a hell of a deal.  Anyhoo...here I am again thinking that maybe I sell the YZ, which should be easy, and pick up a 2017 RMZ 450 in a firesale as they move them out to make way for the 2018 new bike.  I am a slow C-class 53-yr old so the 2017 should be great for me.  As far as I know, they are plenty reliable.

Edited by thsp485
more info