Looking at buying an old low mile DR650

I'm looking at picking up a used DR650/KLR/690 Enduro for the lady friend and there happens to be a cheap DR650 in my area for sale right now. The potential problem? It's a model year 2000 with less than 4500 miles on it. I have a 2013 DRZ-S that has about 6000 miles on it and I feel like that's borderline neglect so a 2000 with even less has me concerned. What should I look for or be concerned about that I can check in someones driveway. Would it be worth it to trailer it somewhere and have it checked out professionally? I'm new to the area and therefore don't have a "trusted mechanic" and the nearest Suzuki dealer is ~2.25 hour drive away.

Edit: I should add that I've got probably 30 hours seat time on a 2007 DR650 so I know roughly how they should feel.

Edited by Allforhonor
  • Like 1

You know it's 324 pounds and takes a tall rider, difficult to pick up. I have one of those low-mileage 2000's, and mine is in excellent shape. A lady bought it new to drive in Washington DC area and it was too much for her. Next owner laid it down and broke a few easy-to-replace parts. You can assume the oil wasn't changed regularly, so a new filter and oil change. My gas tank was rusted out because it was left outdoors, the "kreme" product didn't work good enough, so I bought a NOS unit on EBAY from a guy that took it off and put a plastic tank on his. Replace the carb float, mine was worn out after 13 or so years. Clean the carb jets, lube everything, open up the air box, that filter is probably dry-rotted.  Battery probably shot. Change the brake fluid. I haven't done my fork fluids but that's on the list. I think they are tough bikes and wouldn't worry about the low miles.

18 hours ago, randynuzzo said:

You know it's 324 pounds and takes a tall rider, difficult to pick up.

5'11' farm girl, delicate she is not ;) I'll be sure to look into the rest of that. She rode my dad's KLR the other day and really liked it so I'm trying to get her on a DR to compare before deciding on anything. The person is asking 3500 for the DR650 which is too much even with the low mileage. In the photos it looks like it may have new tires so there's hope it's been maintained to some degree. Thanks again Randy.

• Like 2

You can always lower the DR by sitting it on the optional factory low setting, that's only "if" your girl needs that (at 5'11" I doubt it).

As for being an old bike with low miles, that's not completely a bad thing.  Just be on the lookout for things that go bad on any bike that has been sitting around.  Things like a rusted chain, a dead battery, dry rotted tires, a cracked seat, rust inside the gas tank or an air filter that's falling apart.  Most importantly if it runs good, shifts fine and nothing sticks (brakes, clutch or throttle) then you should be fine.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:00 PM, Allforhonor said:

I'm looking at picking up a used DR650/KLR/690 Enduro for the lady friend and there happens to be a cheap DR650 in my area for sale right now. The potential problem? It's a model year 2000 with less than 4500 miles on it. I have a 2013 DRZ-S that has about 6000 miles on it and I feel like that's borderline neglect so a 2000 with even less has me concerned. What should I look for or be concerned about that I can check in someones driveway. Would it be worth it to trailer it somewhere and have it checked out professionally? I'm new to the area and therefore don't have a "trusted mechanic" and the nearest Suzuki dealer is ~2.25 hour drive away.

Edit: I should add that I've got probably 30 hours seat time on a 2007 DR650 so I know roughly how they should feel.

Soooo, nothing posted yet... did you get it?

17 hours ago, zig06 said:

Soooo, nothing posted yet... did you get it?

2014.5 Klr is what I ended up getting. Now to sell my DRZ and get another...

• Like 1

That makes sense, while the DR and KLR are in the same class (650 single), they do different things better (DR likes off road better, KLR is better on road).  Together you two will most likely favor what the KLR does better at and that'll make the entire ride experience more enjoyable.  Nice job!

• Like 1