Monster Energy Motocross Rider Attempts to Break Guinness World Record

TALLADEGA, AL – April 21, 2017 – (Motor Sports Newswire) –  Alex Harvill will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the longest motorcycle jump in history. Harvill, who currently holds the record for the longest “dirt to dirt” jump, will be collaborating with Monster Energy at the 2017 Geico 500 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Race.

Follow the record attempt build up and get more info at https://www.monsterenergy.com/news/world-record-motorcycle-jump

170421-monster_energy_company-alex_harvi

Channeling the original daredevil Evel Knievel, who made his first of many death defying jumps near Alex’s hometown of Ephrata, Washington. Alex Harvill will attempt to smash Robbie Maddison’s current record of 351 feet by a monster 50 feet. The attempt will be aired live at the Talladega Superspeedway on Sunday, May 7th. Alex Harvill said, “I feel great about going to Talladega to do this jump. Talladega is the biggest and fastest, and it’s only fitting that I’m jumping the furthest at that track.”

Aboard his modified Suzuki RM-Z450 motocross bike, Harvill plans to tear down the runway launching off the 88 foot ramp at 105 miles per hour travelling 400 feet and then precision landing on the super narrow 30-foot-wide ramp on the other side.

About Monster Energy

Based in Corona, California, Monster Energy is the leading marketer and distributor of energy drinks and alternative beverages. Refusing to acknowledge the traditional, Monster Energy supports the scene and sport. Whether motocross, off-road, NASCAR, MMA, BMX, surf, snowboard, ski, skateboard, or the rock and roll lifestyle, Monster Energy is a brand that believes in authenticity and the core of what its sports, athletes and musicians represent. More than a drink, it’s the way of life lived by athletes, sports, bands, believers and fans. See more about Monster Energy including all of its drinks at www.monsterenergy.com.

Source: Monster Energy Company
2017-monster-energy-banner.jpg

Evil eyeballed and guessed. Stupid but true stunting. These days, it is all math and atmospheric conditions. Like flying the space shuttle. The guy on board is simple there for the ride. Eventually, some clown will press his luck and little kids will see his severed head roll down the track. For what?

Worse is the dumb kids that try and emulate it on home made ramps with no planning. We get a few on TT every year who then have family post a gofundme to cover the cost of the wheelchair and intensive life long medical care needed for the kid in a vegetative state..

• Like 4

Not really interested Iin the jump or anything, but is a rmz not the worst choice of mx bike to start with for this stunt? I know it's modified so any bike can be made to do anything really, but a zook is made for turning, not straight line speed and stability.I'm sure that's his sponsor so he has to use it

• Like 2

Alex Harvill's agent found the perfect venue for this kind of nonsense, imo. 

• Like 1

And to think evil did it on a Harley, bikes nowadays should be able to triple his record easily. Me... Heck noo! Shits dangerous enough already.

Only a matter of time before some one went for 400,. I hope a 30 ft wide ramp in enough that seams risky. Why not land to dirt and make it much wider.  

• Like 1

Only a matter of time before some one went for 400,. I hope a 30 ft wide ramp in enough that seams risky. Why not land to dirt and make it much wider.  

Seems that way to me too, but when Robbie Madison jumped the football field, he nailed the landing almost exactly in the middle. Just make sure there isn't any breeze that day!

• Like 3

Makes my stomach turn as he launches! Can yea give a brother a little more stopping room, gheeesshhh!

• Like 1

Evil eyeballed and guessed. Stupid but true stunting. These days, it is all math and atmospheric conditions. Like flying the space shuttle. The guy on board is simple there for the ride. Eventually, some clown will press his luck and little kids will see his severed head roll down the track. For what?
Worse is the dumb kids that try and emulate it on home made ramps with no planning. We get a few on TT every year who then have family post a gofundme to cover the cost of the wheelchair and intensive life long medical care needed for the kid in a vegetative state..

You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/nh55zvXg8vE

Ah crap, it won't play for some reason. Just go to YouTube and type in stuntmans big jump

Anyone familer with this Caesars Palace jump by Gary Wells?  Same jump attempted by EK.  I was there to see it, I grew up in Vegas.  I was about 6 feet to the right on the upper walkway.  It was HORRIBLE to to see him crash. 

Edited by Bill_B

I watched Butch Laswell die trying something just as crazy.  I have no desire to see that again.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Laswell
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Laswell

I've been bored and watched more YouTube than should be legal. I saw that jump/crash. Man, the way the wind was blowing that day, guy must've had a death wish. I mean it had a very large flag standing straight out. Must've been 20+ mph wind or something. Why would anyone try a very large jump in that kind of wind? RIP to the guy, but what was he thinking?
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jcross312 said:

I've been bored and watched more YouTube than should be legal. I saw that jump/crash. Man, the way the wind was blowing that day, guy must've had a death wish. I mean it had a very large flag standing straight out. Must've been 20+ mph wind or something. Why would anyone try a very large jump in that kind of wind? RIP to the guy, but what was he thinking?

It was windy and should have been postponed.  His family and everyone told him not to go forward, but I think he felt obligated because of the crowd...pressure from within.

• Like 2