Cleaning and smoothing aluminum frame on kx450f.

Just picked up an 07 kx450f last night at a decent price, it seems to run fine but needs a bit of tlc. Beside scotch brite and steel wool what grit sand paper is commonly used to get the frame looking back to stock? The swing arm has some scuff marks that a scotch brite pad won't take out. I know the top of the frame cane be done in 1000 up grit for a polished look and I know aluminum is a soft metal that can be sanded and smoothed. Just want to know what order of grit would help out without getting carried away. Thanks

• Like 1

I wonder.. do you have access to a bead blaster?  That may be the ticket.

I have read about that. Are you referring to a soda blaster? I have though about making one and trying it

1 hour ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

I have read about that. Are you referring to a soda blaster? I have though about making one and trying it

Yes, that is it.  I had some engine parts done with that and they look new.

320 grit works for the frame and for swing arm scratches I start with 220 and finish with 320 it looks a little shinier than stock but its not polished

320 grit works for the frame and for swing arm scratches I start with 220 and finish with 320 it looks a little shinier than stock but its not polished

That's the look I want. Thanks