Pre mix ?

Been running motul 800 for a year now it's great stuff have no complaints but I keep reading about how high of a flash point it has and I am by no means running my yz250 to a max potential. I do pin it and run it like hell at times. But I am considering trying yamalube 2r. Just want to see if anyone has some more experience insight and I'm not trying to start a pew mix war lol

No war, R2 leaves more ash, per I am told, but that is what I run at 32:1. "IF" you change over, make sure to use or drain all the other mix before mixing in a new oil. Some will react to the other oil and gum up the PV system.

Carry on. 

• Like 1

I don't see how 800 could work for anyone besides top level pro's or ronnie mac. I've leaned my jets big time running 40:1 and still getting tons of smoke/drool but hell if you got it to work I'd say keep using it I hear it's very protective. I've recently been looking into different flash points and oils and all I ended up with was motul 710 and a headache.

Edited by nopo530

Yamalube at 32:1.  This 125 piston has 95.5 hours of woods flogging.  

piston intake.jpg

• Like 4

Castrol power tts full synthetic for me , one of the lowest flash points I could find and burns clean as and hardly any smoke once engine is warmed up  

45:1 and clean jetting zero spooge

Pre mix questions lol, ask 10 guys get 10 different answers.

I bought a kx 250 a few years ago, the PO was running motul 800 and gave me a bottle of it to use, it smoked quite a bit but was fine, I switched to lucas semi synthetic oil as its cheaper, easier for me to get and smokes a bit less without issue.

I run lucas in my yz 250 now too.

I've used a lot of dominator in my gasgas years ago too, it was also fine, interceptor is good too, it hardly smokes at all, the only thing I don't like about it is the color, I cant tell if I mixed it which is a pita for me as I have a jug of straight gas for the other bikes in the garage too.

I really wanna run Lucas. I can get it for 8.99 just down the street but after reading a few bad reviews on cranks rusting I got scared.

Edited by nopo530

They all work just stick with one and don't be mixing them up. I personally ran 927 for years at 32:1. Did try yamalube 2R for a bit but as doc says lots of carbon buildup.  

I've been happy with Amsoil interceptor the last few years. Heck I ran NAPA multipurpose two-stroke oil at 48 to 1 for years with great results because it was "just down the street". These threads are proof that unless you're running something really bizarre you should be good.
I can't remember ever hearing of an actual oil related failure, or even premature wear being oil related.

• Like 2

Motul is a good oil.  Should be zero smoke unless your jetting is wacked.  I changed over to Maxima Super M after at least ten years of Motul.  Performance is every bit as good and it costs less.  I used to just run it in my KDX but after observing the kind of sustained, severe abuse it withstood I started running it in my KX as well.  We are talking WOT pinned in sixth gear for miles and miles, minutes at a time.  Really harsh stuff.

32:1 with that stuff and you will have no premix related failures.

• Like 2

I run yamalube 2r ar 32:1 in my yz125 for trails. I do open her up a fair amount but though I need to lean my jets a bit she's really fairly clean when I do topends at 30hrs. I have run motul of and on, it does smoke a little less after being in the low revs for a while and a bit less spooge after a lot of tight stuff as well. Since the yamalube is doing its job for me on the 125 it's hard to complain.

• Like 1

After reading hundreds of unique opinions and testimonials over the years, the only inevitable conclusion you can come to is, it's 90% personal preference.  As long as you use a quality oil and somewhere in a sane ratio range your fine.  Proper jetting will have many times the effect on optimum performance than pre-mix oil brand and even oil/fuel ratio.  The key is proper air/fuel ratio (jetting) for the oil/fuel mix ratio you decide on.  The oil/fuel ratio will affect the air/fuel ratio as more oil (richer oil/fuel ratio) will lean the air/fuel ratio.  Many confuse throttle response and spooge issues on oil/fuel ratio when really its the air/fuel ratio they are changing or should change.

Edited by dstewart
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, dstewart said:

After reading hundreds of unique opinions and testimonials over the years, the only inevitable conclusion you can come to is, it's 90% personal preference.  As long as you use a quality oil and somewhere in a sane ratio range your fine.  Proper jetting will have many times the effect on optimum performance than pre-mix oil brand and even oil/fuel ratio.  The key is proper air/fuel ratio (jetting) for the oil/fuel mix ratio you decide on.

Yes and no.  A small bore ridden in the desert will need 32:1.  A small bore ridden on dirt roads on the pilot jet at high RPM will also need 32:1.  A big bore ridden in tight single track in first gear all day or a trials bike can run 100:1. 

The only one size fits all, guaranteed safe premix ratio is 32:1.  Running a little more oil than the bare minimum makes oil selection less critical, though I still recommend a good oil to minimize carbon deposits.

Everybody has their own rationalization for running leaner than the factory recommendation.  Some get away with it, some end up rebuilding engines more often than they should be.  Catastrophic failures are rare but they do occur.  For the price of an extra ounce or two of oil per gallon, it makes no sense to gamble with it.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Yes and no.  A small bore ridden in the desert will need 32:1.  A small bore ridden on dirt roads on the pilot jet at high RPM will also need 32:1.  A big bore ridden in tight single track in first gear all day or a trials bike can run 100:1. 

The only one size fits all, guaranteed safe premix ratio is 32:1.  Running a little more oil than the bare minimum makes oil selection less critical, though I still recommend a good oil to minimize carbon deposits.

Everybody has their own rationalization for running leaner than the factory recommendation.  Some get away with it, some end up rebuilding engines more often than they should be.  Catastrophic failures are rare but they do occur.  For the price of an extra ounce or two of oil per gallon, it makes no sense to gamble with it.

Completely agree, but I didn't want to get into a several paragraph long oil ratio explanation, so left it at "sane ratio range".  Personally, I believe engines like oil and run more oil than the manufacture recommends.  I don't believe in running lean oil/fuel ratios, but also believe the oil ratio is much less critical than what many think (within reason).

Edited by dstewart

I have a 2017 YZ250X and use Motul 710 at 32:1 in non ethanol premium fuel. Runs clean, no smoke, no drool from silencer. Have stock jetting and stock needle. 

Funny thing is I kind of miss having clouds of blue smoke trailing behind me. Maybe I will try some other oil.  

I have been using the 927 for years.    I have a 1999 kdx200.   I have run 50 to 1.  Went 9 years on the same piston.  We just changed it and could have gone longer.                        Now I run 44 to 1

• Like 2