thinking about buying a new/old bike

hey I'm thinking about buying a 2003 yz250f but I've heard its common for 00-06 yz or wrs to bog pretty bad is this true if so how could I fix it because I'm really partial to Yamaha..and no I can't afford a new EFI yz250f. Thanks for any answer's.

well the one im looking at bogs to the point of dying or bogging out, the guy wants a 1000 for it he claims it was rebuilt and has less than 6 hours on it, do you have any tips for getting rid of bog?

ok then that means this guys just trying to get rid of his POS, so ill keep looking, see I'm trying to get out of two strokes so I'm looking for a reasonably priced 4 stroke. Thanks for your help you probably just saved me 1000 bucks

• Like 3

First off - if you do a search, there are a 1000 different threads on TT alone, regarding the bog.
Second - if you do a search on google, there are even more threads because all the modern thumper are using FCR carbs - known for bogging.

I think the people that have the bikes without any bog, are lucky. I had an 02 WR and it bogged. I tried many different things. I got it to a point that I didnt mind, but if you twisted the throttle as fast as you possibly could, it still had a hesitation.

I would not, not, buy a bike because its bogging.

Probably needs a carb rebuild, clean, and set up. $100 to do this yourself if you have no tools or cleaners.

1 thing I hardly see talked about with used 4 strokes MX bikes but alot of the XR/DR-Z/KLR guys know about is worn out FCR's. If there is excessive wear in the carb body around the slide or throttle shaft, you'll never get the bike to run right.

Unfortunately, a worn body is something that is very difficult to fix.

I think you made a good choice. Find one that is as close to perfect as you can. Used 4 strokes are a risky investment. Sometimes even brand-new ones too. Look at the post below about the poor guy who's 2016 with 20 hrs. just grenaded. That will probably cost around 3k to fix. He'll now have a 10 to 11 thousand dollar stock YZ250F. If he rebuilt it and sold it he'd be looking at about a 4 to 6 thousand dollar loss a machine he bought around Xmas time.

My point is if you ride a used 4 stroke, make sure you understand the possibility that in an instant it could become a total write off.

• Like 2

Would you say a warn out carb is a common thing? I have owned bikes 30 years old that did not have a "warn out carb"; or would you relate that only to the FCR slide carbs?

Even a used carb can be found cheap. When I had my WR, i found a carb locally for $70. And it was in great shape.

For me, if the price is right, and if the rest of the bike is good, i would go for it. Maybe you can get it a bit cheaper than $1k?

If you are mechanically inclined, I would pull the motor apart to inspect - with only a claimed 6 hours on it, should be noticeable. From the outside check if the gaskets are still green. Easy to do.

I had a 03 wr250f with jetting and yz250f exhaust, it was very responsive all the time. I now have a wr450f 2010 bought new '15 i did the carb gytr mods, shorter throttle stop, muffler mod to yz type muffler.  Fixed up throttle fuel pump mod (rubber o-ring to tighten link between two parts) grey wire etc (all mods are on TT threads) and it is as responsive as my 350 ktm fuel injected was. It starts hot/cold with a flick of the switch & performs better than any other bikes I've owned. 15 Bikes roughly.

Hopping on my friends yz250f '06 was a little surprising at the different characteristics of the bike, it didn't bog but its throttle response was a little slow for my liking.

A new bike is always going to be better than a used bike period...  unless you buy from someone who has maintained that used bike as a race team would & is truthful regarding what it needs. I got sick of buying 6 year old bikes then spending half the purchase price trying to make them like new again. Hence found a new old stock bike for nearly dealer cost.

Finding a bike new that has been sitting in a shop for 12 months or more, is how i will buy my next bike, if i ever need another bike. Generally old stock bikes drop a few thousand dollars & unless you are a pro? Riding the bike will still be awesome for you & potentially as good as a new model if you buy a good make model. The newest model doesn't always mean better... the amount of reviews on 2016 bikes that elude (point) to issues with them would suggest the slightly older 13,14,15 models that have glowing reviews maybe saying they are better bikes anyway.     

Edited by surfez

A freshly rebuilt bike for $1k? Sounds too good to be true. It sounds like you're on a tight budget, and that's why i'd recommend you conjure up enough money to get something you can ride instead of sinking cash into it, and end up having an old, worn out, grenaded bike that's not worth anything. 4 strokes are for rich people, that's why I haven't had one since 2001.

Would you say a warn out carb is a common thing? I have owned bikes 30 years old that did not have a "warn out carb"; or would you relate that only to the FCR slide carbs?

It's a FCR issue. Especially the older slant version is my understanding.

I personally don't have experience with the issue, but it's been discussed at length on the DR-Z400 board since the carburetor is such a popular modification

Oh ok. Ive never seen it discussed in the WR/YZ section - which is where I hang out.

I suppose it is possible, but like I said, a new carb is not that expensive. Ebay is your friend here.

• Like 1

Have him do a compression check with you there. If that is good it is a jetting issue, old gas or a dirty air filter. Bogging is totally repairable just by adjustment, cleaning or fixing an air leak. Nobody knows how to jet bikes anymore and it is simple and cheap. Sad, I am 51 and have been taking carbs apart since I was 5. Check the sprockets as well this is another area that throws people and is a super easy cheap way to gain power or speed. Make sure he didn't change the gear ratio so tall it can't maintain power between shifts.

well the one im looking at bogs to the point of dying or bogging out, the guy wants a 1000 for it he claims it was rebuilt and has less than 6 hours on it, do you have any tips for getting rid of bog?

I've never had this beauty bog one bit with proper jetting! She's an 03 20170422_174052.png
  • Like 1

That's an outstanding looking bike but two strokes don't bog anyway maybe I should get a two stroke but I was trying to get out of them and into 4s

4 hours ago, Kibmj43 said:

I've never had this beauty bog one bit with proper jetting! She's an 03 20170422_174052.png

That's an outstanding looking bike but two strokes don't bog anyway maybe I should get a two stroke but I was trying to get out of them and into 4s

Thanks pal! 600 buck does an old bike alot of good! And you should stay into the smokers they make you a better rider!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kibmj43 said:

Thanks pal! 600 buck does an old bike alot of good! And you should stay into the smokers they make you a better rider!

well I have a 1980 rm125 I've had since I was 18 (I'm 41 now) and I have a 1987 kx500 I do not plan to get rid of either one of these bikes..i was just looking for a smoother riding bike for an old man

• Like 1