So after the rebuild, I've ridden the bike several times yet it's still acting a bit weird. I am thinking it's too rich due to several reasons- The previous owner had several air leaks and I belive rich jetting was the band aid. Riding info- altitude 2600ft, humidity 56%, outside air temp 50-70*

Current jetting -

slow jet 45 

Main jet 170 

Needle NKZR (4th position) 

Starts very easy cold and hot, doesn't require choke when it's cold (1st sign of too rich pilot) 

It has hanging revs but I'm certain there's no air leaks, I've done the carb cleaner test when it'd idling with no change. However when I press the hot start while it's running (leaning out the system) the revs go to "normal" but it's back firing (too lean) the choke will always make it run higher too. (2nd sign of rich pilot)

Turning out the pilot screw (rich) increases idle and has symptoms of rich, turning in (even all the way) has little influence (third sign of pilot too rich)

At this point, I'm going to go down in pilot size, then back to the stock needle od. I'll check the spark plug as well once I get the plastics off.  I think I'm going in the right direction... 

Your carb is compromised.

It is not jetting.

A 45 pilot is the correct size.

You have an INTERNAL carb issue.

Clear the passage above the pilot jet with fine copper wire and solvent, polish and service the hot start system (it must seal 100%), service the choke plunger, and if that does not work, then your carb's body seal has melted inside, and is blocking passges, and will have to be replaced....

On 4/21/2017 at 11:40 PM, Krannie McKranface said:

Your carb is compromised.

It is not jetting.

A 45 pilot is the correct size.

You have an INTERNAL carb issue.

Clear the passage above the pilot jet with fine copper wire and solvent, polish and service the hot start system (it must seal 100%), service the choke plunger, and if that does not work, then your carb's body seal has melted inside, and is blocking passges, and will have to be replaced....

Thanks for the input- I'll tear it apart (again) tomorrow and see what I find. I've got a new oem hot start and lever so I'm fairly certain that it's not the culprit.