Helmet 2 way radio?

looking to get some helmet mounted 2 ways  for helping to teach my son/wife to ride.

looking for the best bang for the buck here not necessarily the cheapest

whats out there and what do you guys like/hate

one thing i know id like them to have is blue-tooth so i can rook out when im out on a guys ride

-alex

farther would be better but i plan to ride very close to him most of the time. just want somthing that works well and is easy to use.

so far i have come up with  these 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBODVWK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AZXX806W8V1N1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087NAZM0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FPGKRAZTGPVR

I have the Sena smh5 and they work great for the wife and I on the street bike. I've never used them to communicate between riders on multiple bikes but it should work just fine. I've tested them off the bike and it's basically line of sight for a good signal. I have a review here on thumpertalk if you want to read it.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/43233-sena-smh5-fm/

I bought a dual pack of sena smh10. we ride in the mountains and sand washes in AZ, so sometimes you got hills in the way. No connection issues, can be clear out of sight before you get spotty connection, which is pretty surprising considering they run off bluetooth. I think the smh5 is more so for rider/passenger communications, the smh10 definitely has a much longer range, but if you don't get too far from your buddy a 5 might work. If you listen to music while you ride, the sound quality on the 10 is phenomenal, and you can even share the music across the headsets if you want to

Edited by Ksanete

Me and a few buddies have been running these http://www.ebay.com/itm/262762086920

They're cheap, but they work really well.  I also have an older Scala Rider one, and these work just as well.

The Bluetooth intercom will only allow you to talk between 2 units, but can log in 3, and switch between them.

So if you're on a tight budget, like I am, these are a pretty good unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for the Sena.  I have had the SMH10, 10c and 10r.  No problems with any of them. I have gotten up to 1 mile of range on a long straight road.

My 10c has gone well over 20k street miles and I'm quite happy with it.  Just make sure you are running the latest firmware and you should be good.

Another vote for the Sena.  I have had the SMH10, 10c and 10r.  No problems with any of them. I have gotten up to 1 mile of range on a long straight road.
My 10c has gone well over 20k street miles and I'm quite happy with it.  Just make sure you are running the latest firmware and you should be good.

Hmm.. I've had the smh10 for two years and never knew they needed updates. Guess I should look into it. We're about to leave on a 3 day trip with them.

On 5/13/2017 at 4:49 AM, Mr and Mrs Enduro said:

Hmm.. I've had the smh10 for two years and never knew they needed updates. Guess I should look into it. We're about to leave on a 3 day trip with them.

There are 2 versions of the SMH10.  One has a round charge port and cannot be updated, the other charges through micro usb and can be updated.  That being said though, if your 2 headsets are working fine together, I don't see any reason to go through an update before a trip.

Updates are usually done for 2 reasons, to fix a bug with the units or to add increased functionality.  Research the update and see if it would be any benefit to you first.

• Like 2