1987 XL600R Intermittent Spark Issue

Hi everyone, I bought a ’87 XL600R running and riding about two weeks ago. A few days later I was struggling to start it. I checked for spark which it didn’t have and while doing some diagnostics I found the stator had low resistance (140ohms vs the range in my manual 230-320 ohms). I picked a new one from RickyStator and threw that in with no luck. I then got some advice from a relative and replaced the spark plug wire which did fix my problem, I fired up the bike and took it on quick rides upwards of six times that Sunday (new bike, woo!). Monday I go to fire it up again and the bike refuses, no spark again. Tuesday I clipped the end of the wire and got it to spark again but not start. And today, Friday, I’m stuck with no spark. 

So to cap this all off I have a couple of questions:

1. The manual I have says I can check the primary and secondary coil resistances for the ignition coil but its for an 83-84 and the coils changed over the years, so I have no idea how to check it. Guidance on how to check these values with a multimeter would be great.

2. Is there anything else you would try? Ive seen lots of talk about faulty CDI’s but it never seems to be the final problem with no start bikes. If so, steps to check this unit would also be greatly appreciated.

3. A fresh link to a free download a more current manual would be fantastic… if there is one.

Thanks in advance,

Ben D.

File_000.jpeg

Hi BenD121

First of all Awesome bike love the color. 

i am no expert on ignition but i am bored so i found a vid

Remember the Pickup on the crank that is easy to measure

also check connections. with the intermittent spark issue  

Good luck

Regards

Oupoot

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oupoot said:

Hi BenD121

First of all Awesome bike love the color. 

i am no expert on ignition but i am bored so i found a vid

Remember the Pickup on the crank that is easy to measure

also check connections. with the intermittent spark issue  

Good luck

Regards

Oupoot

Thanks Oupoot,

I also love the colour scheme of the bike, it's awesome.

I have two different manuals one for an 83-84 Xl600r one for a 84-85 Xl350, these are what I am referencing for electrical specs.

When you say the pickup on the crank you mean the pulse generator right? If so mine reads 380ohms - the spec in the XL600R manual is 510-570 ohms, the one in the XL350R manual is 460-580 ohms, I also read an online spec which was 380 - 440 ohms. Lots of spec flying around here and mine hardly matches one. Could this be my problem?

My Ignition coil reads 0.5ohms on the primary coil and 7.68K ohms on the secondary coil which doesn't match any of the specs i have - the manuals read as follows, Xl600r which says 0.8 ohms primary and 4.7K ohms for the secondary and on the Xl350 0.1-0.3 ohms primary and 3.5-4.7K ohms secondary.

Do either of these discrepancies stick out as my problem? Id rather replace the coil over the pulse generator as I wouldn't have to pull off the side covers, which is a big plus in my book.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:16 AM, BenD121 said:

Thanks Oupoot,

I also love the colour scheme of the bike, it's awesome.

I have two different manuals one for an 83-84 Xl600r one for a 84-85 Xl350, these are what I am referencing for electrical specs.

When you say the pickup on the crank you mean the pulse generator right? If so mine reads 380ohms - the spec in the XL600R manual is 510-570 ohms, the one in the XL350R manual is 460-580 ohms, I also read an online spec which was 380 - 440 ohms. Lots of spec flying around here and mine hardly matches one. Could this be my problem?

My Ignition coil reads 0.5ohms on the primary coil and 7.68K ohms on the secondary coil which doesn't match any of the specs i have - the manuals read as follows, Xl600r which says 0.8 ohms primary and 4.7K ohms for the secondary and on the Xl350 0.1-0.3 ohms primary and 3.5-4.7K ohms secondary.

Do either of these discrepancies stick out as my problem? Id rather replace the coil over the pulse generator as I wouldn't have to pull off the side covers, which is a big plus in my book.

this is going to be difficult.

It is going to be a process of elimination me personally don't have the experience to tell you what replace but i would start with the less expensive parts the pulse generator Coil and it could also be Dry joints in your CDI box check the Pinned thread on the CDI repair

hope someone here can help you make a better diagnostic on what is the problem

Good luck

Regards

Oupoot

11 hours ago, Oupoot said:

this is going to be difficult.

It is going to be a process of elimination me personally don't have the experience to tell you what replace but i would start with the less expensive parts the pulse generator Coil and it could also be Dry joints in your CDI box check the Pinned thread on the CDI repair

hope someone here can help you make a better diagnostic on what is the problem

Good luck

Regards

Oupoot

Hey Oupoot,

I don't know if you are a genius or I'm just lucky.

I read the article you posted, and following the instructions tapped on the CDI and checked for spark, saw it, stuck the boot on the spark plug that was already installed and fired it right up. I rode it around killed it and fired it again rode around and its back to not starting. I will be picking up a new one as soon as possible. I was reading the no start sticky, which also had some great information but hadn't made it to the CDI post.

Thanks for the insight, should have done more looking before I posted.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Oupoot said:

That is Great news keep that old beast running as long as possible

Regards

Oupoot

Will do! Thanks again,

Ben D.