Sign in to follow this  

Electrical issue with my CRF450X

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with an electrical issue on my CRF450X

I was out riding my bike last weekend, everything at the start of the day was fine and working

I was riding my bike along a trail, then all of a sudden I noticed the electronic speedo had stopped working. I wasn't to worried as I thought a plug may have come undone at the back of the speedo.

I stopped a little further on and then the Estart button would not work either. I found that no electrical items worked for the rest of the day except for the headlight. this runs off the engine. The battery is also fine and has plenty of charge.

I have pulled the covers, headlight plate and the tank off trying to find if a wire had been cut or unplugged but have found nothing.

Has anyone got an idea as to what and where I should be looking?

I am not great with mechanics but can do a few things.

Thanks,

Rod

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with an electrical issue on my CRF450X
I was out riding my bike last weekend, everything at the start of the day was fine and working
I was riding my bike along a trail, then all of a sudden I noticed the electronic speedo had stopped working. I wasn't to worried as I thought a plug may have come undone at the back of the speedo.
I stopped a little further on and then the Estart button would not work either. I found that no electrical items worked for the rest of the day except for the headlight. this runs off the engine. The battery is also fine and has plenty of charge.
I have pulled the covers, headlight plate and the tank off trying to find if a wire had been cut or unplugged but have found nothing.
Has anyone got an idea as to what and where I should be looking?
I am not great with mechanics but can do a few things.
Thanks,
Rod

Theres a fuse next to the starter relay. Take of the left side plate the relay has a rubber boot that you have to pull back to get to it. Should be a spare fuse there also. If yours is an Australian bike the ADR wiring harness will be shorting out under the seat and you will have to unwrap all of the tape from the harness and fix the worn through or bare wires that are there (see pic). Then tape it all up again properly! Just make notes of what color wire plugs into what before you start unplugging everything. 20170412_161320.jpg20170412_161249.jpg
  • Like 1

Thanks Red NT, I had a look at starter rely fuse as per your instructions and yes, the 15AMP fuse was blown. I didn't have a spare one on the bike. I replaced it with a 20AMP fuse that I had and the bike turned over. Thank you for your help.

Will the 20AMP fuse cause damage or hurt anything if I leave it?

I will also have a look at the ADR wiring as some of the boots had come off.

Thanks again for your help.

Rod

20 amp fuse won't matter but tape a couple of spares onto the relay. You're gunna keep blowing them untill you fix the bare wires in the ADR wiring harness.

• Like 1