Have you ridden an Enduro or trail/woods bike on a MX track?

I was thinking of riding my CRF250X enduro at a local MX track.  I've only done trail riding although I've hit some jumps and drop-offs with my enduro.  I only saw MX bikes on the track when I went to look it over.  I was wondering if some of you guys have ridden their enduro and trail/woods bikes on a MX track and how did it go?  I'm in good shape and weight >160 lbs..  I'm going to start off easy... 

1 hour ago, Benski said:

I was thinking of riding my CRF250X enduro at a local MX track.  I've only done trail riding although I've hit some jumps and drop-offs with my enduro.  I only saw MX bikes on the track when I went to look it over.  I was wondering if some of you guys have ridden their enduro and trail/woods bikes on a MX track and how did it go?  I'm in good shape and weight >160 lbs..  I'm going to start off easy... 

Yes. It really depends how big the jumps and whoops are and what you expect out of it. 

For a beginner to MX I don't think you'd have an issue. I'd specifically avoid kicker up ramps. A CRFX has twin chamber forks so would probably hold up reasonbly well.

• Like 3

I used to ride my KDX250 on tracks all the time. The suspension was much too soft to do big jumps, and even small tabletops had to be landed perfectly or it would bottom hard, but I got great satisfaction out of passing guys on MX bikes while wheelying through whoop sections. ?

Just don't ride over your (or your bikes) limits and go have some fun.

• Like 3

I've seen guys show up at my local MX track with enduro bikes (specifically a CRF250X and KTM200XC-W),

and even on the intermediate/vet track, the soft suspension settings (not fixable by clickers) and wide-ratio gearboxes were evidently were out of their intended element.

Depends on the track configuration, soil conditions and, what performance you expect.

Versus a true MX bike, a CRF250X still has decent suspension and power but it's the 253lbs weight that will be the biggest drawback.

Edited by mlatour

I've rode my kdx on an MX track a few times, I'm no jumper and the suspension isn't stock. I find the wwtrans to be kinda fun, but again, I'm no jumper. Smaller whoops were great fun as well as small dragon backs....Big whoops, like supercross style, not so fun, just kinda rolled em fastish. The best part was running up horse power hill at Washougal and passing the mx bikes....until I hit the flat spot....Depending on the trail bike, you can have plenty of fun at an mx track. Biggest issue I bad was the fork rake on the kdx, it is just a bit short for jumping bigger jumps, lands like hell.

• Like 3

I race my 200xcw in MX.  I was into racing XC's so I went with this bike for it's nimbleness in the woods, but then I tried MX and love it.  I'm of the mentality that you ride/race what you brought.  As long as you're having fun and understand your bike is not an MX bike who cares.

Now maybe this would be a better comparison though.  I also have a KLX 250 and until I upgrade the suspension there is no way in hell I will take it out on the track, but that is mostly because of myself, I just know that I'll try to push it way beyond it's ability and either kill it or myself.

But if you're the kind of dude that can go out and not push as hard as possible, you'll be fine.

• Like 2

I rode my XR650R at the club track one time on practice day and beat everybody there..natural outdoor without a lot of man made jumps mind you and a hard packed dust bowl..thing just hooked up..guys were pulling off of the track to avoid the embarrassment of getting passed by it..blew the shit outta my fork seals 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Italian Stallion said:

I rode my XR650R at the club track one time on practice day and beat everybody there..natural outdoor without a lot of man made jumps mind you and a hard packed dust bowl..thing just hooked up..guys were pulling off of the track to avoid the embarrassment of getting passed by it..blew the shit outta my fork seals 

That bike is a beast! 

Edited by Benski
rewording

8 hours ago, The Spanky said:

The XR650R isn't a dual sport, it's a BAHA racer. They do weigh over 300 friggen pounds though...?

post-110490-14344122396858_thumb.jpg my boy hauled on the thing that day too..we were down one of our mxers that day,so we took turns on that pig..my plan was to just play around on the club trails with it.. he's giving me the look that he wants "his" bike back, while rolling a big downhill table top that would be like dropping a piano from a 5 story balcony on that thing..me being used to riding a Harley that thing feels like Im riding a BMX?

• Like 1

I took my wr450f to a track without adjusting the suspension at all. It was my first time on a track so I had no idea what I was doing, which didn't help. 

Went head first over the bars at one point. Got a concussion and messed up my forks pretty bad, also bent my sprocket. 

Its different for everyone though, if you tune the bike right and have some idea of what you're doing you'll be fine 

I took my wr450f to a track without adjusting the suspension at all. It was my first time on a track so I had no idea what I was doing, which didn't help. 
Went head first over the bars at one point. Got a concussion and messed up my forks pretty bad, also bent my sprocket. 
Its different for everyone though, if you tune the bike right and have some idea of what you're doing you'll be fine 

Bummer...if you don't have an "Intermediate/vet" or "old school" track and have to go out on a "big boy" track, then swallow your pride and go around slowly for the first lap "rolling" the jumps...don't jump until you know what you are in for...you will hurt yourself ! Gradually increase your speed...some of the jumps are too steep for beginners and require experience and the right set up...
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

Bummer...if you don't have an "Intermediate/vet" or "old school" track and have to go out on a "big boy" track, then swallow your pride and go around slowly for the first lap "rolling" the jumps...don't jump until you know what you are in for...you will hurt yourself ! Gradually increase your speed...some of the jumps are too steep for beginners and require experience and the right set up...

Yes, I don't, and I think you are right.  I think I would be alright on the tabletops, but it's the steep doubles and triples that scare me.  Even slow the drop offs of the doubles/triples are head high.  I've only done waist high dirt mound jumps and each landing is different.  I don't know how my suspension will handle the larger jumps either.  I just want to have fun and not get busted up so the local track may have to wait a little longer.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

8 minutes ago, Benski said:

Yes, I don't, and I think you are right.  I think I would be alright on the tabletops, but it's the steep doubles and triples that scare me.  Even slow the drop offs of the doubles/triples are head high.  I've only done waist high dirt mound jumps and each landing is different.  I don't know how my suspension will handle the larger jumps either.  I just want to have fun and not get busted up so the local track may have to wait a little longer.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

Every time my XR ended up at the MX track it came back with blown fork seals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sofiedog said:

Yep I learned a lot from that day. It got me to get my crap together and work on my technique alot more haha. There's only one track in my state sadly. They do have a smaller "kids" track there through that I probably should've went on first