1999 gasgas 250 mini project

a friend of mine was after a cheap 250 off roader. unfortunately decent kx, rm and ktm 250's were just out the price range. however we stumbled across this very solid gasgas 250 for £600. and a big plus is it has a v5 to use on road too!

its a 1999 model and runs great. still has the RWU forks too.  its a bit tatty in places but overall good.

new fork seals and oil, recent piston kit apparently (havent they all!) 

we took it to the local mx track and it handled lovely. i used to have a 2005 one many years ago but never got on with the forks. this one just offers so much confidence.

first thing is just to get it mechanically sound.

money is a issue here so no more than £200 to be spent.

job list is

change gearing, its currently on 52 rear 14 front. very high..

just re set the float height and re jetted the carb.

maybe fat bar conversion.... although it seems a little ott although i personally like the feel through them (but it isnt my bike!

the top exhaust clamp was missing

the wiring loom has been moved to the airbox. all the wires just tied together so this needs soldering correctly

check/ replace/ grease chassis bearings

decent set of 2nd motox hand tyres.

2nd hand seat as this ones been lowered.

then theres the stuff we'd like to do but as said the budget is limiting.

frame guards

swingarm guards

newer plastics and tank etc.   from when i had mine i still have some brand new 2000 and 2005 plastics. unfortunately these dont fit the tank ? i thought they were all the same.

we'd try to update it but im not sure on the possibility of getting all the parts cheap enough.

any advice on this regarding later tank and airbox fitment?

Later tank and airbox and subframe and seat and shrouds. That a lot of "ands". I also have a '99 as well as a 2000. Different plastics.  Also shroud plastics are essentially unavailable.

I just decided to replace the fender and number plate and rear fender and side plates. Came out good.

Before

B61BC96E-39C8-4364-888B-BA073635E10F_zps

After

C6423CBD-4103-4639-857E-9FA5F1C7EED4_zps

Edited by hadfield4wd

that looks great! thats great info mate. much appreciated. ill get it mechanically sorted first. ive found a later tank for £20 and a seat too. maybe ill run the older kx style rear end with the newer tank and fender. would be a good compromise

that looks great! thats great info mate. much appreciated. ill get it mechanically sorted first. ive found a later tank for £20 and a seat too. maybe ill run the older kx style rear end with the newer tank and fender. would be a good compromise

Thanks. Mine is the older kx rear and a ktm sx front.

last few days lots of bits fixed. tried to get through the list of bodges from the years of use.

checked the piston and sure enough its new with no blow by so thats good.

the top exhaust mount was broken but had part of the old one. i had a used a dt125r one , it was too short so took one side off , drilled through the center and mated it to the original one. the original one is the same as a honda cr250 one but id run out of them

20170427_103258_zpsi3kaveac.jpg

the radiator louvers were missing but i had a good set of 2005 ktm250 ones. these fit straight on.

the chain rollers were worn out so had some as new spare ones.

the rear sprocket was a steel one and new.  its running 13-48. for the stuff we ride it needed lower gearing. we took the cheapest option and went to a 12 tooth front.

20170424_093123_zpsblkqct3r.jpg

20170427_214227_zps6d4q65fh.jpg

the rear sprocket was new but looked horrible being bare steel so gave it a lick of paint.

ordered a big list of stuff. frame guards, fork gaitors, hand guards, seat cover, grips, 2006 rear plastics, 2008 rad scoops with a ktm 2010 front fender and number board.

ive managed to get a later tank and seat for cheap but no airbox, thought we'd see how we'd get on adapting the old 1999 airbox with the newer plastics and it looks fanctastic! 

20170427_214145_zpsxr2g756v.jpg

20170427_214212_zpsraj84iv5.jpg

so to anyone who says you cant fit them is wrong. theres a little trimming of the old air box but it took no longer than half hour to fit them. the worst thing was getting the side panels to meet the rear fender as the rear of the subframe was slightly bent.

20170427_214158_zpscncul3y4.jpg

then moved onto the frame guards. unfortunately the bolts for the rear master cylinder were seized solid. all my usual tricks of heat, dot punch etc was to no avail. ended up drilling the bolts out.

looked through my box of spares and had a mint yamaha dt230 lanza master cylinder which is exactly the same!  problem solved.

20170427_214156_zpsdhpgfczq.jpg

onto the front fender. tried a few different ones for fitment. i personally liked the 2009 kxf450 . it seemed to really suit the bike..... but it aint my bike and my friend preferred the ktm front fender. the rear holes match straight up to the original holes. the front holes needed elongating backwards about 3mm.

once fitted the number board i drilled a tapped the top yoke so it fits just as a original one would.

20170427_214156_zpsdhpgfczq.jpg

still lots to do though but end is getting nearer for sure.

fit a good set of second hand tyres, re wire the birds nest thats currently sat in the airbox, and fit all the other new bits.

new tank arrived. the correct one for the update seems to be high in demand and fetch £100 2nd hand . did a bit of research and took a gamble on a 2002 pampera 250 tank as it was only £10!

they use the same shape plastics and sure enough it fit straight on AND cleared the coil, wiring and everything else :)

20170428_133736_zpspy8y6d2u.jpg

its not perfect as the top mounting is different

20170428_133742_zpsdqyyhsll.jpg

no problem i thought. took a old yamaha fazer side panel and brought out the grinder. initially i was going to make a metal one but thought the hard black plastic of the fazer panel would match the tank so would all blend in nicely

20170428_133716_zpsz0yhjyt1.jpg

and it all fitted up

20170428_134711_zpsdp4cwymq.jpg

20170428_134931_zpshdhj2jzr.jpg

tank looks really nice compared to the old one.

i cant decide if i should re fit the frame covers that fit around the tank? most bikes ive seen have had them removed

thanks, decided to refit the side panels as the fuel tank leaves lots of room around the bike for wiring and to work on etc. 

for some reason gasgas had decided to rivet these on??? ive threaded the frame with a m5 so they can be removed or pulled out the way if needed

really tidys the bike up

20170428_175405_zps2nb4w8zu.jpg

tidied up the wiring, just the kill switch to fit now. the cdi is sat in the airbox. there seems to be a small shelf on the left side (when sat on the bike) , is this where the cdi is meant to sit? im guessing there should be a rubber band to hold it in? anyone have a pic?

Just fitted the new hand guards today.  Were only £5 from our favourite auction site. Amazingly good quality for the money. Even came with stainless steel caphead bolts which was nice.

Before fitting I gave them the bend test to see if they would snap straight away and they were really flexible.  Well chuffed for the money.

My friend keeps longingly looking over at my 2017 husky and was saying how much he'd like a smooth 2 stroke. I'd heard about the counterbalanced 250 gasgas before and said we may be able to fit it to this engine.

When I rode this gasgas last week it was with a older ktm 250 exc and was surprised just how smooth it was.

With all this in mind I'd had a hunch it may even be a counterbalance engine.

Sure enough on removing the flywheel cover there was the counterbalance shafts already fitted :)

Last week when I rode it 2 engine mounts weren't tight and the exhaust brackets were missing. Now all this is repaired I'm hoping it will be similar in feel to modern husky in vibration 

more parts to finish the old girl off

left radiator pipe

20170506_221719_zpsypuwyhvt.jpg

new kill switch £2 from ebay with free postage lol  it seems decent quality too

20170506_221746_zpskiqumvpk.jpg

new grips and fork gaitors.

as everything with this project its been done as cheaply as possible so i ordered 5 pairs from china for £8 lol theyre a bit firm. i expect these will outlast 3 sets of tyres :jawdrop:

loosely wired up the kill switch and it works...... which is a good start

20170504_102311_zpsorkjvykj.jpg

20170506_221816_zpsr91kwsml.jpg

20170507_132614_zpsyck0w9pc.jpg

old wiring  loom removed. its an old ducati one. also the stator is the same as the super rare cagiva mito sp!

20170507_132850_zpsdrzlpuve.jpg

extra flywheel removed.

20170507_133941_zpscbj6ftyq.jpg

just to point out that there seems to be some misconception online that the extra flywheel screws onto the flywheel so its a left handed thread. this isnt correct. it effectively a big nut that screws onto the crankshaft