Brake Bleeding Not Worked

I read a very good post on here on how to bleed the brakes properly as I wasn't that impressed with mine. I removed the wheels, pushed and held the pistons in with clamps, wrapped the bleed nipples in thick PTFE tape and then used a large syringe to push fluid up through each system.

The front brake seems okay, although I think the pads need changing. The 1994 YZ125 I owned had a really effective front brake much more so than this WR450, although that could also be because of the weight of the YZ125, but I think it could be that the pads have glazed over.

When I did the back brake though it didn't work. When I now apply the back brake the piston does not move at all and there is no resistance. Was I supposed to apply the back break during the bleeding process or something. I would imagine that there is air somehow trapped behind the plunger but I don't understand what I have missed here. I thought reverse bleeding it would solve this problem.

No I didn't rebuild the brakes at all. The only thing that I was a little concerned about was that I used a clamp to push the piston in and hold it there while I bleed the brakes but I was concerned I tightened the clamp too much and maybe the piston has got stuck. However, I thought that would still cause the brake pedal to have resistance and make it try and push the caliper piston back out.

I decided to have one last go at bleeding before doing anything more drastic. I tried using the syringe to vacuum the fluid through rather than back bleed and I found a large amount of air got pulled through and out the system so this then sorted the problem and the rear brake works now.

Thanks

Edited by Snow Drift
  • Like 1