RMZ 250 Running Weird

Just fully rebuilt my rmz250 that I bought blown up and Im having some issues. First, it is very hard to start and only starts when I have the hot start and choke pulled. When it runs it runs like crap. At low speeds it bucks and bogs kind of and it keeps getting worse for a couple minutes until it dies. Its almost like running out of gas. But when I get on it, it rips. Haven't been able to see how it really runs wide open because I'm still breaking it in. Its not like the typical dirty carb where it bogs on the throttle, but more of just a bucking feeling. Took the carb off and it seems pretty clean. I know I should check the valves but I don't have shims so Id like to look at all other possibilities first.

2 hours ago, cpenrose said:

Just fully rebuilt my rmz250 that I bought blown up and Im having some issues. First, it is very hard to start and only starts when I have the hot start and choke pulled. When it runs it runs like crap. At low speeds it bucks and bogs kind of and it keeps getting worse for a couple minutes until it dies. Its almost like running out of gas. But when I get on it, it rips. Haven't been able to see how it really runs wide open because I'm still breaking it in. Its not like the typical dirty carb where it bogs on the throttle, but more of just a bucking feeling. Took the carb off and it seems pretty clean. I know I should check the valves but I don't have shims so Id like to look at all other possibilities first.

Checking your valves is really easy, can be done in 20 minutes and at least then you know for sure if that is the problem or not. You could also check your timing to make sure it is dead on cause if it is off a tooth it could cause it to run bad as well