Foam air filter oil alternatives

In the past I've used foam air filter oils like uní oil and Yamalube's air filter oil, but Im bottles are dry. I still have some 2 stroke oil from my old bike, will it work just as fine for oiling the air filter? It's Yamalube 2-cycle oil. Thanks for any help you give me.

Many owner's manuals from recreational (non race bikes) simply say to use engine oil,

(for practicality reasons also recommend that as chain lube as well)

In a pinch, anything oily (yet not too viscous like gear oil) is better than a dirty / dry foam air filter.

• Like 1

I used motor oil for many years with little ill effect, the major issue coming from a dirty air box. Any excess oil tends to run off. As a result you might not want it to sit for ages between cleaning, regardless of riding. I used filter oil for a long time and now use bar oil. It is very similar to filter oil. I would recommend bar oil with abandon as a great alternative.

20 hours ago, Gflo said:

Back before we had specific air filter oil, I would mix regular 30 wt. with STP oil treatment.  It was stickier than regular oil, and did not run off as much.

You must be really, really old. ?

2 hours ago, HappyAndy said:

You must be really, really old. ?

Not really, really old.  Just really old.  Started riding in 1968 at the age of 12.  Been riding ever since.

Edited by Gflo
  • Like 1

You can use 2t oil clean you're air filter in solvents or just gas lightly squeeze then put 2t in palm of you're hands work in then sit it upright with kitchen absorbent towel to catch excess oil for about 3days.

Gheeesshhh, motor oil now a days is not meant to be burned in the cylinder nor is any oil other than 2 stroke and that's judged by a predetermined amount! Squeeze that stuff out and it's fine, I've ran with nothing coating my filter for fun for a season, knocking out dirt on occasion and guess what "nothing"!! I replace piston n rings every year no-matter. Back in the day of 2 stroke outboards 30 weight was your 2 stroke oil "Go figure!"

• Like 1