Chain brush for oring chain

After painstakingly cleaning my chains with toothbrushes for years I decided to get a proper chain brush. I bought the moose racing brush. Looks similar to the grunge brush revzilla sells. 

My concern is that the plastic bristles are much stiffer than a toothbrush. Is it possible to damage orings in my chain with stiff plastic bristles? Or is anything softer than wire safe?

the trick is using the right lube .. if you use one of the old-tech gooey lubes nothing is going to clean that short of a bucket and mineral spirits, if you use a 'good' wax based lube the grime doesnt stick .. i use a regular fairly stiff dish type cleaning brush to knock off the sand and big stuff and finish up with a rag ...

55 minutes ago, Bear trap said:

After painstakingly cleaning my chains with toothbrushes for years I decided to get a proper chain brush. I bought the moose racing brush. Looks similar to the grunge brush revzilla sells. 

My concern is that the plastic bristles are much stiffer than a toothbrush. Is it possible to damage orings in my chain with stiff plastic bristles? Or is anything softer than wire safe?

Very unlikely.

I have seen some pics on here of some really clean chains. While mine is maintained/lubed and adjusted/tensioned periodically. What are people doing to clean the chains. What cleaners are you folks using? What specific/brand and type lubes are providing this uber clean appearance but maintaining good lubrication with minimal sling off?

Thank you

I use chainsaw bar oil for lubrication and kerosene to clean. The cheap bristle brushes at the  hardware store work well for cleaning and application.

• Like 1