Drive chain wear and replacement options

I am currently replacing the stock chain and sprockets on my 09 that has almost 85 hours, and I was wondering how long ago this chain should have been replaced, just for future reference. The front sprocket's teeth are a little warped but not too bad... after tightening it the last few times, the chain slack would go back to being a little too loose after a ride or 2, and there is a very small amount of free play between the links.

I already have the new sprockets but just wanted to get some opinions on what gold X-ring chain, up to $120, is the best. I've been using this bike for mainly desert by the way (no racing). For now I've just taken a look at D.I.D. ...Is the ERV3 worth the extra money? I know I don't need the very best chain out there, so it comes down to the 520VT2 and 520VX2. What is the benefit of having a narrow chain (VT2)? If there's no real benefit for a narrow chain, I guess the VX2 is the way to go since DID's site says it's stronger? What do they mean by "great value" with this chain?

http://www.didchain.com/enduroChains.html

Got the VX2 chain, accidentally cut it to 113 links instead of 114. I put it on the bike and with the chain adjusters as far forward as they will go (have aftermarket BOLT chain blocks btw), the 113 link chain is still too short. Is the YZ really limited to a 114 link chain (13/48 sprockets)?       Does anyone know where to find the best deal on a VX2 gold 114-link chain? (won't be paying full price for 120 link) So far this is the cheapest I've found:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O85UNE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&coliid=I172R816RAYCT0

Someone will blow a gasket over this suggestion, but you can put a second master link in it and add back the missing link.  If they are a high quality link (and the correct DID part for that chain is), and they are properly installed, the chain won't be any weaker for it or give you a shorter service life.

• Like 1