2012 250r ball bearing missing

Hi guys

As per my previous post, I had the right side cam bearing fail on my bike, and the ball bearings and cage fell out. I was able to recover 12/13 ball bearings in the head, and I found what's left of the cage in bits caught around the stator.

My problem is I can't find ball bearing #13. I've drained the sump (while filtering the oil to catch any debris), pulled apart the oil filter, checked around the head and valves, and pulled the side covers off to see if the magnets in the stator caught them. I've even shook the engine and rocked it to see if I could hear it rolling about in the bottom but nothing...

Miraculously I don't think there's any damage, There's no marks on the cam, no marks on any of the cogs or on the casings down around the flywheel or chain that I can see. I even pulled the cylinder off to check the piston and around the crank to see, all seems good.

Is there anywhere else this thing could have gone? I haven't checked the clutch side yet but will do it tomorrow and post pictures of my progress so far. Are the ball bearings, while not ideal, soft enough to get chewed up?

Thanks

Well lads..

I was thankfully able to find the last bearing, it hadn't left the head! It had managed to get hooked around the base of one of the intake springs. Springs look good but I might put in a set just in case. Everything else looks good.

I've no idea how I got away with all the bearings staying in the head but I can call this a close one for sure

I've one last question. On the Honda cams you have the auto-decomposition lever. There is a small gudgeon pin that keeps the lever in place. Where exactly does it go? I can't seem to find any information on it other than a few parts diagrams.

I'm assuming it's the small hole that the bearing race sits over and that keeps it in?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Irishcrfrider said:

Well lads..

I was thankfully able to find the last bearing, it hadn't left the head! It had managed to get hooked around the base of one of the intake springs. Springs look good but I might put in a set just in case. Everything else looks good.

I've no idea how I got away with all the bearings staying in the head but I can call this a close one for sure

I've one last question. On the Honda cams you have the auto-decomposition lever. There is a small gudgeon pin that keeps the lever in place. Where exactly does it go? I can't seem to find any information on it other than a few parts diagrams.

I'm assuming it's the small hole that the bearing race sits over and that keeps it in?

Thanks

yes you are correct