2017 DRZSM brand new , not sure if normal

Hey guys ,

Just bought a brand new DRZ400SM , I had them put on a FMF pipe and rejet carb at dealership.

When I get the bike started I feel like it takes like 10 minutes to warm up before I can even take off. It is around 55 degrees here.

When it is warm to take off from a dead stop I really have to gas the hell out of it , like 3/4 throttle . Once its warm and once its moving it seems fine.

Would like to hear some opinions please.

Cliff notes :

Takes a long time to warm up , I twist the throttle to hard while warming it dies, no power on take off.

Really have to ride the hell out of it to take off in first gear.

Bike is brand new and in break in period.

Thanks

Erin

You are going to have to take it back and get them to check the jetting,take it to them before you start messing with anything

• Like 1

Ughhh dealership is like 2 hours away ... I was not hoping for that reply. I don't intend to mess with it at all I am just a basic wrench turner. Changing oil is the extent of my ability. That's why I paid them to do it. I was hoping for the reply , this is normal while your engine breaks in . Thanks for the reply though mate.

My dealer told me to expect that same scenario. At least for a short time. So, I just make sure that I give myself a few extra minutes before I need to take off. So, you aren't experiencing anything out of the ordinary.

How did they jet it?

The stock needle is non adjustable.

The hot setup for the stock carburetor is to use the JD Jetting jet kit. It includes 2 needles, a few mains and a different pilot.

Regardless, all that work is meaningless if they didn't do the "3x3 mod", which I seriously doubt the dealer would do. The airbox is ridiculously restrictive, hence the reason a 3x3 hole must be cut in the top so the engine can breathe. The original DRZ400 dirt only model had this hole from the factory.

Stop over at the DRZ400 forum.
It's one of the most active on thumper talk and you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about the bike.

Is that 3x3 mod something that i can do on my 17?

I don't know exactly what jetting they did , I thought anytime you put a new pipe on it needs jetted. I can cut a hole in the airbox if that will help , I was planing on it eventually anyway.

So would you suggest doing the airbox cut tomorrow and see if that does the trick ?

Thanks

I've learned with previous bikes that even a slip on, the bike needs jetting even though the exhaust companies claim that the bike doesn't need it.

mine warms up and ready to go in 60 sec. Same mods full fmf 3x3 reset. Something is definitely wrong with your jetting 

20170317_183845.jpg

I dont have the 3 x 3 mod. I just had the dealer put the pipe on and rejet. I am thinking I need to cut out air box tomorrow and everything will be fine.

I hope.

I dont have the 3 x 3 mod. I just had the dealer put the pipe on and rejet. I am thinking I need to cut out air box tomorrow and everything will be fine.

I hope.

If it doesn't help I recommend getting the JD Jetting jet kit. It has very detailing instructions on which jets to select.