Why did you buy a 230

Super solid trail bike, not enough six speed bikes like this available. The motor is very torquey and responds very well to properly installed modds. Honda hit a grand slam when they made this bike, solid motor and transmission and reliability is every bit as good as the former XR series bikes. Tons of cool aftermarket parts available for them now too. If you get one do take the time to rejet the carb, bikes are deathly lean from the factory. I have had lots of big bore bikes but this bike has not disappointed me once when it comes to speed and having fun. I have done a full list of modds to my bike and it ripps, love it, this is my second one and I will be keeping this one.

CRF 2.png

Edited by Dirt Racer
  • Like 5

I liked my XR200 and found out the higher availability of mods for the 230 and without ever touching one beforehand, I bought one in December '16. Rode it for a few minutes in the snow to make sure it ran, then proceeded to tear it down and spend more moola in parts than I had paid for the bike... Sounds like a great idea, right??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevethe said:

Info from this forum, friends advice or tried one before you bought one? 

I was originally looking for an XR200 but since I'm a horse chiropractor, I decided to get a full size XR250L to ride around Baja.  I rode that for a few years and then I rode your brother's 230 with the 16 & 19" wheels and also the full size one after the XR300 broke my foot while kicking it.  That's when I decided to get a 230 because it's lighter than the L, uncomplicated, and reliable.

• Like 3

I was looking for a nice long-travel XR200 with the intention to install a front disk and do a little suspension work.  After zero luck searching I finally realized the CRF230 is just a "warmed-over" XR200 so I bit the bullet.  While the stock bike is miserably corked up and lean that is very easily fixed.  The stock tires and suspension are also miserable both both items are also easily fixed.

We have an abundance of affordable high-quality aftermarket accessories and contributors like Frank Nye, Mike Coe, and Terry Miller have brought us to a level that is just hard to believe.

A wonderful machine for almost any need except MX work and dirt drag racing.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 4

I had modded 2 for female friends of mine ....

Used to have a nicely modded xr200/xr212....

Owned xr400... Several xr250/280s...

Had , and intend to again, have modded xr/crf100s...

Lately a run of beastly 450s and a few ktms has been enough wretched excess of power and high price KTM 2 and 4 stroke on parts....

And I hit a breaking point... Snapped... Everything was full on ride or wrench or bank account... Nothing fun or free feeling... I wanted a big mini bike to make things fun again... 

And project bunny foo foo was born....

As Adnohguy would say... The smiles came back...

• Like 5

For the wife. Low seat ht, electric start, low maintenance, reliability. Years of very little model changes means plenty of parts and goodies.

Currently uncorked with Mike Coe jetting recommendations, Bruce Triplett fork mods,  Hagon rear shock. Super fun and reliable bike.

• Like 1

I bought a 150F for cheap in desperate need of TLC.  My intent was to flip it.  I got it going again and rode it a couple times and actually thought about keeping it because it was a fun little bike.  I wanted a bit more power so after doing some reading, discovered I could just bolt on the top end from a 230.  Then I figured why do that when I can just buy a 230 and get the 6-speed and e-start too.  I sold the 150F and less than 2 weeks later, had a 230 in the garage.  In full disclosure, I actually had planned on getting an XR400 but couldn't find one nearby at a decent price.  I "think" I made the better choice with the 230.

Edited by baglock1
  • Like 2

My first super mini was a XR80 framed bike with a XR200 motor in it. I still have it. 

Well my reason for getting my CRF230  is I basically always wanted a BBR framed bike. 

When I saw a BBR framed bike with a CRF230 motor for sale used I couldn't resist. 

It was a stock CRF230 motor so I took it from there and went with a 250 big bore piston from Engines Only with 11.5 to 1 compression, ported head, bored 28mm PWK carb, custom head pipe from a few bikes. 

It later occurred to me how much more power this bike had than a XR200 based bike. That led me into finding some Talon hubs for a CR85 which fit the BBR framed bike. Then I opted for the 18" & 21" wheels and the full Frankenstein bike was built. Now she's a full on big monster mini bike. 

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

Edited by stevethe
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, stevethe said:

My first super mini was a XR80 framed bike with a XR200 motor in it. I still have it. 

Well my reason is I basically always wanted a BBR framed bike. 

When I saw a BBR framed bike with a CRF230 motor for sale used I couldn't resist. 

It was a stock CRF230 motor so I took it from there and went with a 250 big bore piston from Engines Only with 11.5 to 1 compression, ported head, bored 28mm PWK carb, custom head pipe from a few bikes. 

It later occurred to me how much more power this bike had than a XR200 based bike. That led me into finding some Talon hubs for a CR85 which fit the BBR framed bike. Then I opted for the 18" & 21" wheels and the full Frankenstein bike was built. Now she's a full on big monster mini bike. 

IMG_1406.JPG

WICKED COOL!!!

After hurting myself a couple of times too many, I had packed up this lark altogether and had taken up classic trials (which I still do).

Then 'the boys' were off to France for a trail riding trip that sounded too good to miss.

I asked a good mate what he suggested I buy and he said CRF 230 as he used 2 of them to teach kids and another friend had one and it was so easy to get on with.

We did the trip and I haven't laughed so much on a bike for years. That was in January 2013 and the bike which I had bought to do the trip on and then sell on is now my favorite occupant of the garage!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fernacticus said:

..I haven't laughed so much on a bike for years...

I could not agree more.  Of all the bikes I've thrown a leg over the Little Red Pig has got to be the easiest and funnest bikes one might ever ride.  It has nicely taken over right where the old and wonderful XR200 left off...  Just with a little added OINK!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

I could not agree more.  Of all the bikes I've thrown a leg over the Little Red Pig has got to be the easiest and funnest bikes one might ever ride.  It has nicely taken over right where the old and wonderful XR200 left off...  Just with a little added OINK!

And more power!

• Like 1