Drz 400 lengthened shock /raised rear?

Just  bought  a  like new drz400e . It's all original . I'm planning  on  setting  up  the  suspension and proper jetting ,  but probably  very  few other mods.I love the smooth  powerful  engine ! 

Anyway , reading  a lot  of suspension  info.Guys in Australia  report  that the drz turns better with the rear end raised by using  a spacer in the shock.Anyone have this done by any suspension  tuners  in the USA,or have any specs on this modification ? Thankyou  

• Like 1

Does not compute.  I know of no way to lengthen the shock.  Spacers are used to shorten the shock not lengthen it.  I suppose a longer damper rod but it is rather complex not just a sold rod.  Even a spacer under the lower clevis presents problems. If you want to raise the rear probably the way to do it is with suspension linkage.  Shorter "dog bones" would do it. You would have to deal with revised leverage on the shock.  The whole idea sounds bad to me.  I think you need to analize what you are trying to accomplish then figue out a way to do it.  Rake and trail can be changed several different ways working on the front or rear or both.  A DRZ400E is intended to be stable under many conditions including in the dirt.  To accomplish that certain compromises are made.  Set ups that favor quick steering on pavement make for worse stability in the dirt and vise versa.  Maybe you want a Yamaha R7 or R9 instead of a do it all DRZ.

• Like 1

I had the suspension  on my xr250  lengthened  1" on both ends by WER. It is much  better  than stock,turns like it's on rails.Certainly  still a great do it all bike.Does even more.

From what I've read on dirtbike  world (Australia),The slightly  raised rear changes  the rake abit,bike reportedly  handles better.A common modification over there.Apparently  accomplished  by  using  a spacer . Not exactly  sure how,thought  maybe  someone  on tt may know.

Interested  in  possibly  doing  it,but not willing  to send shock to land down under . 

Edited by vulcanduro

1 hour ago, Anthon Berg said:

I've seen this discussed too. Some info here: http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-21683.html

"We lengthen the shock by moving the piston position." ... it sounds a little like they're trying to obfuscate, tbh

Maybe there is something against the valve body for top-out they move or modify?

I've had rear shocks apart.  There is very limited ability to space the damper piston.  Without one apart at the moment I can't say for sure but I suspect the piston can not be moved more then 1 or 2mm.  Of course that translates to greater ride height change by the linkage ratio by maybe 4 or 5 times.  So 2mm might get you 10mm at the seat.  It is going to be in the high ratio part of travel so it will disappear quickly with weight on the bike.  Have fun.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Noble said:

Does not compute.  I know of no way to lengthen the shock.  Spacers are used to shorten the shock not lengthen it.  I suppose a longer damper rod but it is rather complex not just a sold rod.  Even a spacer under the lower clevis presents problems. If you want to raise the rear probably the way to do it is with suspension linkage.  Shorter "dog bones" would do it. You would have to deal with revised leverage on the shock.  The whole idea sounds bad to me.  I think you need to analize what you are trying to accomplish then figue out a way to do it.  Rake and trail can be changed several different ways working on the front or rear or both.  A DRZ400E is intended to be stable under many conditions including in the dirt.  To accomplish that certain compromises are made.  Set ups that favor quick steering on pavement make for worse stability in the dirt and vise versa.  Maybe you want a Yamaha R7 or R9 instead of a do it all DRZ.

24 minutes ago, Noble said:

I've had rear shocks apart.  There is very limited ability to space the damper piston.  Without one apart at the moment I can't say for sure but I suspect the piston can not be moved more then 1 or 2mm.  Of course that translates to greater ride height change by the linkage ratio by maybe 4 or 5 times.  So 2mm might get you 10mm at the seat.  It is going to be in the high ratio part of travel so it will disappear quickly with weight on the bike.  Have fun.

I just got done having my coffee too!  :thumbsup: