Electrics help. Battery reversed,

I made a stupid mistake and tried to start my bike with the battery terminals reversed. (battery removed and jump starting from another) There was a 'spark' sound from the box where the positive lead goes (solenoid?) behind the battery and the bike is now dead. No response from starter button when I connected the battery the right way around.

I am hoping I have just blown a fuse but have no idea and expect much worse. Any help will be greatly appreciated on what I have busted and how to fix it.

Edited by Oldie230
spelling

You've probably just blown the fuse which is tucked in the back of the battery box. Check this before looking further and hopefully its this simple.

• Like 3

Phew! I hope that is all it is. I will have a good look in the morning. Thanks.

If it's a conventional battery, it's likely fine.  Check the fuse and replace as necessary.  If it's a Lithium battery, you may have fried the battery's circuitry (assuming it's internally protected).  They don't respond well to reversing the polarity (or short circuits for that matter). 

I've never done that with a m/c battery, but have done it to other Li batts.  For the record though, all of the larger Li batts I've seen have some form of internal protection but I can't say if that's true for m/c batteries.  I bring it up for no other reason than it's *possible.*

Great relief this morning when I pulled the solenoid and found a blown fuse.  $1 later, all is fixed. Phew! 

It's good that Honda anticipated fools like me and protected us with the fuse. :thumbsup: