Rust spots on steel bike

Been shopping around for bike and found a good deal on a good bike, but it has a bunch of rust around various parts of the frame

Its gotten under the paint in some places and is peeling up, and theres some pretty decent sized areas of rust all around. There's also a little rust on the bolts holding the head on and other miscellaneous bolts and parts.

Should this be a deal breaker? Does it really matter, or not really? Should I strip it back, blast it and paint it, or is that not necessary?

Thanks in advance

What bike and how many hours on it? Post up some detailed pics if you can.

• Like 1

Bike is a wr426 and has less than 2000km. Bike was used as a farm bike but was brought back to the city and tarded. looks like it has had an easy life, but has a bit of rust around the place

I'll try get some photos later

That's what happens when you don't wash your bike...

I wouldn't worry about that. Chromoly doesn't rust that easily, but I would make sure that there wasn't any other issues. It looks like the bike was neglected

There are some different rust stop products available.  Not sure what they sell in your part of the world though. I would clean the area up with a wire brush/ wheel and use the rust stop then paint over. 

Looks neglected to me as well. I'd bring out a wire brush and scrub at some of the rust. If it is just light surface rust and comes away leaving nice even, clean metal below then you should be ok. If the rust has started to really eat in ... my wallet would stay closed.

• Like 1

If the rest of the bike is in better shape then strip it down and sandblast the frame. Have it powder coated. It will be like new..

Although I never much cared for the 426..