Honda XR400R Light Problem

I'm having an issue with my 2000 Honda XR400R, specifically the tail/brake light bulb #1157.  My brake light works but my tail light doesn't.  I flipped the index pins around and put it back in the socket but it had the reverse effect causing the tail light to come on but not the brake light.  I also believe that only the thick wire filament is lighting up.  Let me know if y'all have had similar problems and how I can fix it.  Ideally the simplest cheapest way.  Thanks.

Replace the bulb with a new one. Look carefully at the old bulb. Is the thinner filament burned out? It is the tail light filament, as it's only a 5w lamp. The brake lamp is probably 35w or so.

Check the contacts inside the bulb housing for being loose or disconnected wiring.

• Like 1

I replaced the bulb and it does the same thing.  It's almost like there's a problem with how the power is being distributed.

Alright fixed the problem.  The original bulb had a burnt filament and when I replaced it with a new bulb one of the index pins didn't seat properly and it showed the same problem.  I figured it wasn't the bulb and put the old one in figuring I would return the bulbs I bought.  In a stroke of "genius" I decided to give it one more go with the new bulb and I seated the new bulb properly and what do you know tail light and brakes.  For all ye greenhorns, check the bulb pilgrim///  From quasimoody a young cat and a dirt cat.

• Like 1