Jump to content

Left hand rear brake set-up! What to do...

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm interested in a good left hand rear brake set-up for the WR250R. Saw the OXbrake but as it uses a cable instead of a hydraulic cylinder so I heard it lacks power. 

So I'm looking at the left hand rear brake kit made by Rekluse. The problem however, is the R's rear master cylinder isn't supported. So I'm thinking I'll swap the master cylinder out for one that is, and install the kit.

So would anyone be able to tell me which of the following Yamaha rear master cylinders would be a straight swap for the R? Rekluse offers the left hand rear brake kit for all of them:

Capture2.JPG.6f05ea4edaabc22bfe3277b0a8663b89.JPG

 

ALTERNATIVELY: I have a 2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R front brake master cylinder and lever from my wreck. What if I found a way to fit that on the bar and just ran a braided line straight to the rear brake caliper and did away with the rear brake pedal completely? Sounds crazy but could it work?


Thanks heaps in advance! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lewi said:

 

ALTERNATIVELY: I have a 2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R front brake master cylinder and lever from my wreck. What if I found a way to fit that on the bar and just ran a braided line straight to the rear brake caliper and did away with the rear brake pedal completely? Sounds crazy but could it work?


Thanks heaps in advance! :thumbsup:

 

This will work just fine.  I did the same thing to my '02 KTM 520 EXC in 2002 along with a Revloc auto clutch.  I sold the bike to a friend several years ago and the bike is still running strong.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chas_M said:

 

This will work just fine.  I did the same thing to my '02 KTM 520 EXC in 2002 along with a Revloc auto clutch.  I sold the bike to a friend several years ago and the bike is still running strong.  

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I was hoping this idea would get the thumbs down but I guess I'll have to give it a go! I'm guessing both ends of the brake line will have different sized banjo fittings. Do you know where I might be able to get such a line and any tips on the installation?

Cheers  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem may be the zx6 brake lever won't go on the left side unless it's upside down which won't work?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Problem may be the zx6 brake lever won't go on the left side unless it's upside down which won't work?

 

Correct it will have to go upside down on the left. I could be wrong but as long as there are no air gaps near the hole in the fluid reservoir it should work. Perhaps I'll get a longer hose and ensure the reservoir is mounted facing up. As I said though, could be wrong :thinking:

Edited by Lewi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, highmarker said:

Problem may be the zx6 brake lever won't go on the left side unless it's upside down which won't work?

 

 

Of course this is correct.  On my '02 KTM 520 EXC I used a hydraulic clutch master cylinder from an older Kawasaki street bike for the LHRB conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×