How should I install kick oil seal?

Hello!

I am going to install a kick starter oil seal on my new case.

I was wondering about how I should do it?

Should I use oil or grease to make it get in place easier?

Also should I apply grease to certain spots on the seal, or leave it as it is?

Regards

Szymon

The most important thing is starting it square and getting it in far enough.

I have never used any grease or oil to start a new seal. The hardest part for me is getting old seals out.....sometimes you have to be creative in coming up with a way to pull the old one.

Just now, Paul T said:

The most important thing is starting it square and getting it in far enough.

I have never used any grease or oil to start a new seal. The hardest part for me is getting old seals out.....sometimes you have to be creative in coming up with a way to pull the old one.

Have bought a new case, so I guess I am "lucky" that I don't have to pull the old one out :D.

Do you just carefully get it in with a rubber hammer, and then use a socket to push it in till the end?

Try and start the seal square using just your fingers. Then use a socket that has the same, or near the same, OD as the seal. I use a ball peen hammer to seat the seal. Lots of YouTube videos on it too.

Just now, Paul T said:

Try and start the seal square using just your fingers. Then use a socket that has the same, or near the same, OD as the seal. I use a ball peen hammer to seat the seal. Lots of YouTube videos on it too.

Ok. Thanks! Was looking for videos, but only found one of a guy changing crankcase seal on a car :).  

Look on Slavens Racing website. He has a couple videos on changing engine seals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul T said:

Look on Slavens Racing website. He has a couple videos on changing engine seals. 

Thank you!

I have done a few, get a gas soldier torch and heat the case AROUND the seal after you remove the bolt and kicker. Use a pry hook and work it out slowly. If it cools heat it back up. Install the new one with a deep socket and mallet tapping it in square with the case warm. Good luck!