Which helmet is the best and why? 

Please don't take into account looks or price. I just want to know which helmet is the safest and most suitable for motocross. 

They all have to comply to the same safety standards... Just go by what fits you the best.

I ride woods not mx, but I really like the new leatt 6.5 its light and has a smaller shell for less twisting force if you hit the ground.  Also has similar foam design to the D6 but in a slightly different approach. Crash testing apparently went great as they are rated well. D6 is nice, but big and heavy. I currently have a kali and like the fit. I'm planning on a leatt next.

I think finding a helmet that offers the MIPPS protection puts you 1 step above other helmets. I know its new technology and I'm sure its not the save all for every crash however I did do a lot of research on my own this past year when purchasing new helmets for me and my son and it does make a lot of since. Bell, Fox, TLD, FLY are just some of the top brands that offer this system. I would start there.

TLD - SE4 for me

FOX V4 for my son

I did look at a Fox V3 mips as I like the idea. Only thing that put me off was the mouth piece had broken off on someone on thumpertalk. But at the same time the impact is unknown. I had a very expensive well known helmet before and the mouthpiece cracked and collapsed. Now I'm sat here with a fractured face and jaw. I'm not sure if the mouthpiece breaking acted like a crumple zone and saved me from much worse or a better helmet would have saved me from any head injury.

My helmet before was a Shoei and I had no issues with it. Seemed like a solid helmet although I never crashed in it bad. 

I'm just not sure if a Shoei is a solid choice that is old technology that works, or if new technology like mips or angled foam is the edge in protection. 

The only thing that bothers me about the Leatt is the vent near the mouth. Will that cause a weakness in it's strength?

I hear the Fox helmets run small, anyone care to confirm this?

Which helmet is the best and why? 
Please don't take into account looks or price. I just want to know which helmet is the safest and most suitable for motocross. 

I prefer the lightest and use a neck brace. Literally have more cardio from a light helmet that breathes properly. Suomy is the lightest helmet I have ever run helps my neck problems to keep me in the sport. One hit on any helmet is all they are good for safest is to replace them after an impact even a small impact can reduce the helmet effectiveness by more than 30%

I prefer the lightest and use a neck brace. Literally have more cardio from a light helmet that breathes properly. Suomy is the lightest helmet I have ever run helps my neck problems to keep me in the sport. One hit on any helmet is all they are good for safest is to replace them after an impact even a small impact can reduce the helmet effectiveness by more than 30%

https://www.google.ca/amp/motocrossactionmag.com/home-page/the-innermost-secrets-of-helmet-safety/amp

I can completely understand the logic behind lighter helmets. That is the reason I opted for the Airoh, and it cured my headaches from riding. I think the headaches were occurring due to neck strain and the extra weight of the helmet rattling my head around. 

The only problem with light helmets is the size of the helmet is decreased for weight savings. Because the shell is smaller there is less foam liner to absorb the impact. 

I'm still kind of struggling to decide if the mouth piece cracking was a savior or a stronger mouthpiece and larger liner would have saved me from injury. 

I have had Arai and Shoei in the past but went with Airoh thinking it is a quality brand and the weight saving will be a massive benefit. Now I'm not sure what kind of safety testing the Airoh goes through. I know that Arai and Shoei have strict in house testing on their helmets which is why I'm leaning towards another Shoei. 

I've owned Arai, Shoei, Fox, TLD, Bell, and a number of gear branded helmets over the years. It seems from my experience that you do get what you pay for when it comes to quality. I have studied the difference in testing between Snell, DOT, ECE and I also subscribe to the "tell me what type of crash you're going to have and I'll build you a proper helmet" philosophy of the manufacturers. 

My current rotation includes 2 TLD's to match my gear and a 6D for faster more technical tracks. I hope I don't have to test the capabilities of any of them but I do believe the 6D has the best protection out of any I've owned. 

I have been so impressed with my Fly F2 Carbon. Lightweight, super comfortable, Snell approved, easy to take apart and clean, looks great, and fits me really well even after almost three years now. And it was only $269 - can be found on clearance for mid-$100s now.

I had a Bell Moto 9 that I wanted to love, but it just didn't fit right so I sold it. I still have an HJC RPHA-X I got in 2013 and it's actually a great helmet that I use as a backup.

But, I've got a new Shoei in the box that I got an absolute smoking deal on last year ($254!), and that'll be the next helmet whenever I'm finally done with the Fly.

11 hours ago, FM1R said:

I hear the Fox helmets run small, anyone care to confirm this?

I bought two brand new helmets this past year, see my post a few spots above yours. Both in a size Large and I can confirm for me at least that the FOX V4 is just a tad tighter on my dome than my TLD SE4. Not uncomfortably tight where I wouldn't wear if need be (its my sons anyways) but it is noticeable. I'm sure once its good and broken in it won't be as tight. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Something you can afford to throw away after a crash, even if it looks fine.

• Like 1

Thanks, I usually replace my helmets after a year or 2 as they get slack if I'm riding alot. If I crash they also get replaced. 

I just want to know from solid opinions the safest helmet. My last helmet was an Airoh and I suffered a fractured face and jaw and was knocked unconscious with no memory of the crash at all. 

Looking back I should have thought to myself that an Airoh has a smaller shell and therefore a smaller liner. So it's not going to absorb as much impact. But I always pay good money for helmets and was under the impression it must be good quality. I also took into consideration that it may cure my headaches and it did. I'm not sure if being lighter was less strain on my neck or maybe my head wasn't moving around as much. Or maybe more vents and a lighter helmet were keeping my head cool and using less energy and I wasn't getting as dehydrated. 

Either way I think I will have to go back to a heavier helmet because of the safety features. 

I would say that in my opinion I have narrowed it down to Shoei and Arai as being tried and tested as good quality. But I'm also interested to know if the 6D and Leatt helmets are moves forward in terms of safety?