Favorite GRIPS...Picky picky picky....

Since sweating the details seems to be a lifelong hobby of mine... Grips sounds like a fun subject to agonize over...

Same as the small contact patch of tires makes or breaks your engine and suspension... That little patch is your only contact with Terra Firma.... If it ain't getting it done, the rest is compromised too...

Your personal contact patch to control is the grips.... And I get a bit obsessed about everything to do with grips... 

First the attachment part... That's easy...Only 100% non moving lockup is acceptable.... Sanded bars and roughed up throttle tubes... GOOP glue smeared in the grip.and on the bar... Done...

Now the crazy part... The grips...

In prior years, when they were easy to get everywhere, I was very much into firm compound renthal half waffle grips... Thin profile so it doesn't feel like I'm trying to hang onto a sewer pipe... Hard non wearing edges that grip me as much as I'm gripping them... Soon your awesome callouses match the waffle pattern for 100% puzzle piece lock up... No squeezing and arm pump required... Hahaha...

Then... A friend turned me on to my favorite grips of all time... But... They piss me off with high price and limited availability... Spider Grips... Can't say enough good about them... Dual compound with a large diamondish pattern... The part on the bar is tough/hard... The part on the hand is very vibration absorbing and grippy... The combo of pattern and compound is pure magic...  Slim profile for great wrap around grip... Fat grips make me feel like my hand has to grip harder instead of being conformed around...

Lately I have been using ODI half waffle grips... They come in medium compound and are a throwback to my renthal grip days...  Very reasonably priced... Wonderful grip..

The big hang up with half waffle grips is getting the waffle pattern pefectly aligned on the bar... Nivana when aligned perfect.. Annoying if misaligned...

Can't misalign the Spider Grips... Uniform pattern...

Currently have ODI half waffle setups... But now that I wrote this, I'm thinking I better search for a deal on some SLX Spiders... ;)

There you have it... Some more of the demon details in my head...

What grips hook you up to your bike?? And Why??

Edited by mixxer
  • Like 1

I've currently made the switch to Protaper Pillow Tops.
71RDgC4oK9L._SL1500_.jpg

They're comfortable, provide great grip, and seem to be long lasting.  I can keep a nice, relaxed grip without any slippage.  I've had a set on one of my bikes for about two years now.  No issues with them so far.  Additionally, I've never safety wired them and they've never slipped once.  I'm using Pro Taper grip glue as well.  Unless something crazy happens, I forsee these being my grip of choice for years.

On edit:
And they're inexpensive too. :)

Edited by baglock1
  • Like 5

I have been eyeballing those

??

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Edited by mixxer

Just now, CRF James said:

I have the same ProTaper pillow too grips on 3 of my bikes soon to be 4.

Yep, all of the XRs/CRFs in my shop wear these too.  I've got an old '68 Hodaka in the shop that is the only hold-out and thats just because the Scotts grips look closer to the period for that bike. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mixxer said:

Since sweating the details seems to be a lifelong hobby of mine... Grips sounds like a fun subject to agonize over...

What grips hook you up to your bike?? And Why??

We have some things in common lol!

My favorite grips were ODI lockon grips, half waffle,

They cost more but you get a new throttle tube every time.

And the bar ends are nice.

But they are gone and they only sell odi emmig grips now,

I like fatter grips because I have long fingers.

• Like 1

+1 on the Spider SLR's. Call me lazy but cutting the end off to make room for hand guards seems like sooo much work...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PJFlyer said:

+1 on the Spider SLR's. Call me lazy but cutting the end off to make room for hand guards seems like sooo much work... emoji12.png

The SLR's are nice with the cutout ends.. I ordered them once by mistake and liked them...

I personally like the ODI lock on e-mig grips. I ride pretty much exclusively trails, pretty comfortable to me. Had the pro taper pillow tops before, they were alright too.

I like the ODI lock on "Rouge" grips...

h34rgb-black.jpg

My second favorite grip is Tag "Rebound" grips but they are in second place since they don't come in a lock on variation and they wear out quickly for me.

tag-rebound-tech_red.jpg

Oh my god, what is wrong with you guys?

Everyone knows the motorcycle brands spend millions of dollars in research on what is the best possible grip for off road riding.

Why would you deny this fact?  

The best grips clearly were the ones offered by Yamaha and Suzuki, and they were designed decades ago......., with the one cork exception for those with sweaty hands.

005594_-_lowbrow_customs_-_jason_jessee_signature_series_waffle_grips_-_cork_-_1_inch-0005.jpg

1_20141120092625.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225 (1).jpg

• Like 5