Favorite GRIPS...Picky picky picky....

1 hour ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Oh my god, what is wrong with you guys?

Everyone knows the motorcycle brands spend millions of dollars in research on what is the best possible grip for off road riding.

Why would you deny this fact?  

The best grips clearly were the ones offered by Yamaha and Suzuki , and they were designed decades ago......., with the one cork exception for those with sweaty hands.

005594_-_lowbrow_customs_-_jason_jessee_signature_series_waffle_grips_-_cork_-_1_inch-0005.jpg

1_20141120092625.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225 (1).jpg

Thanks for the trip down memory pain... 

I mean lane ?

• Like 2

Back in the seventy's, several speedway pilots I knew, only used Friction Tape for grips.

When they finally started using real grips, they used one layer of friction tape on the bars first, then a shot of brake cleaner, and slide the new grips on.

After the brake cleaner dried, the friction tape acted like grip glue.

I have only used clear spray paint to hold my grips on since those days.

• Like 2

I've tried pillow-tops on a couple different bikes and they were my least favorite grips. Half-waffles always seem to work pretty well if they are properly installed. I've had Pro Grip 797 on a couple bikes and really like them. Put some Renthal full diamond medium compound on my latest bike and like them, although I may try the soft compound next, otherwise just go back to half-waffle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Krannie McKranface said:

Oh my god, what is wrong with you guys?

Everyone knows the motorcycle brands spend millions of dollars in research on what is the best possible grip for off road riding.

Why would you deny this fact?  

The best grips clearly were the ones offered by Yamaha and Suzuki , and they were designed decades ago......., with the one cork exception for those with sweaty hands.

005594_-_lowbrow_customs_-_jason_jessee_signature_series_waffle_grips_-_cork_-_1_inch-0005.jpg

1_20141120092625.jpgs-l225.jpg

s-l225 (1).jpg

The ones here on the bottom we used to call those "titty grips."

I've currently made the switch to Protaper Pillow Tops.
71RDgC4oK9L._SL1500_.jpg

They're comfortable, provide great grip, and seem to be long lasting.  I can keep a nice, relaxed grip without any slippage.  I've had a set on one of my bikes for about two years now.  No issues with them so far.  Additionally, I've never safety wired them and they've never slipped once.  I'm using Pro Taper grip glue as well.  Unless something crazy happens, I forsee these being my grip of choice for years.
On edit:
And they're inexpensive too. [emoji4]

Plus the outer ring is a harder compound that holds up really well if you punch out the ends for bark busters. Mounted mine with chain lube and haven't slipped at all even in wet conditions.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, portlandcsc said:

Oury ATV grips. Sorry fellas I'll Never Go back. Yes ATV grips on a dirt bike.

Oury was the first big maker of aftermarket grips for dirt bikes... In the 70s, when you put on aftermarket grips, you were likely to be using oury's...

Soft and sticky.... Good vibration absorbing... My daughter prefers them on her bicycles....

The ones I know are a bit thick for me... But  better look again...Lol... Don't want to miss anything...

7 hours ago, yz250f_spud said:

Plus the outer ring is a harder compound that holds up really well if you punch out the ends for bark busters. Mounted mine with chain lube and haven't slipped at all even in wet conditions.

Chain lube?!?!????

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yz250f_spud said:

Yes! I was doubtful too, but it makes them a breeze to install and once it dries it tacks up.

What chain lube is that??

I have never had goop glue fail me yet...

using an oil or grease as a bonding agent seems very counterintuitive, to say the least

Edited by mixxer

I was seriously into that pattern and loved the renthal hard compound...
These must have superceded them..
How soft are they?? How long do they wear?

Medium/soft. So far, wear like iron. Very sticky, bought my son a pair first, he liked them so I tried them....very happy. A bit pricey but not emig pricey. I think I paid 14 bucks, but it wasn't from my sponsor shop.
  • Like 1