Sign in to follow this  

1981 xr200r exhaust

This is my first time posting anything on the forum, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. I recently bought a 1981 xr200r and I was wondering what type of exhaust I should put on it. I'm looking for a pretty quiet exhaust that doesn't sacrifice much power. I was also going to put an xrs only header on it, but that is saying it will only for 86' and up. I'm not sure what the fitment is on these bikes because it is my first xr. Thanks, Chris

Where are you located?

The fitment of early/late exhaust is different and I don't have any experience mixing/matching early/late exhaust parts.  However Honda does standardize a lot of designs so stuff fits between models and years, an example are for years the muffler inserts among various off road MCs and ATVs had the same OD (1 1/2") and would interchange, but had different outlet ID's which provided different tuning and noise. I repaired the rotted end on an 82 XR200R by adding the end/discs from a Supertrap.

I have used stock, Powroll 1 1/2", and XRsOnly SS stepped headers and my choice is the XRsOnly header.  All of those headers and any CRF230F headers will fit the head and route correctly past the engine. The critical issues are the relative positions of the end of the header and the muffler/midpipe inlet, the frame mount for the inlet end of the muffler, the frame mount for the muffler body, and the OD/ID of the header to the midpipe.  

• The XRsOnly header ends a bit  short of the late stock but is long enough to fit into the late XR200R mufflers and 84-85 XR250R mufflers. Adapters required, I've used sleeves made from sheet metal and RTV sealant, or enlarged the ID of the  muffler seal.
  • Stock outlet OD and muffler inlet on 86+ is 1.13", I think early is the same. The muffler uses a very thick seal that can be enlarged.
  • Powroll headers for XR and CRF230 is 1 1/2" OD
  • XRsOnly is 1 3/8" OD at the end.
  • XR250R is 1 1/2" OD at the end
  • XR400R is 1 3/4" OD at the end

I have used the following systems:

• Stock 81-83 XR200R has good top end, lacks bottom end. Early dyno tests showed a 30% increase in bottom end torque by removing the insert, but that makes it way too loud.
  • Stock 86+ XR200R, has top end as good or better than any other exhaust. The insert and tip makes the bike stealthy.
  • Powroll 1 1/2" with various mufflers, great bottom end and throttle response. For decades this, with a Supertrap, was my fav but too loud. Quiet Core inserts helped but hurt bottom end.
  • XRsOnly with various mufflers better top end than Powroll header.
    Have used this with a 84 XR250R muffler, wo insert was the best throttle response and bottom end, way too loud.
    SuperTrap IDS2 from a XR400R w/custom mid pipe, very good but loud. w/ Quiet Core OK but loses bottom end.
    Stock CRF250X muffler, my best and quietest combo on a Powroll 218 motor. Also my fav 4T sound. A friend runs late stock exhaust w/ insert and tip on a 218 motor, really quiet in the woods.
  • The caveat on the above is the results are based on actual riding experiences and/or side by side controlled tests, and not dyno tests involving jetting adjustments except for the published dyno tests by a magazine on a 81 XR200R.

Noise is a problem and tiring on long rides. Quiet allows you to hear other things on the bike and around you. If you want quiet and bottom end w/ stock run one less tooth on the counter shaft sprocket.

• Like 1

I run the xr's only header on my '82. It fits ok, I think it rubbed the frame slightly , I think I ground on a bracket slightly.
You may get lucky and find an old super trap system for the early bikes.