125 gearing to reduce revving

Hello.
I have a Ktm 125. I realize this sounds stupid, but I'm kinda scared of high-rpms. I tend to chop the throttle on jumps faces because the power is too instant and I'm scared of the slighest turn of the throttle. I'm far more comfortable just strolling in high gears, but that's far slower.
I currently run 13/51, could a gearing change help a little?

Stock gearing for the 125 is 13/50 . I dont think i tooth would make enough difference for you. The problem with the 125 is the lack of bottom end. Anything more than a 48 tooth and the gap between gears would be more than you would want. If you don't want to rev it the easiest thing to do is shift up. You have 6 speeds. 

No no no no no.  To the OP--you either need to learn to ride a 125, or get a bike with a smoother powerband like a 250f.  I would urge you to give the 125 a chance.

Riding a 125 is all about aggression and being on the pipe.  Your gearing is fine.  Get a more experienced rider to take a spin and make sure everything else is fine with you bike, but I suspect you are just not yet used to how a 125 runs.  It will come with time and practice.  Is there a place where you can practice without jumps?  Listen to what the engines sound like when an experienced rider is on an 85, 100, or 125.  That is what you want your engine to sound like.  Work on getting comfortable with high rpm riding, and the jumps will come.  I agree that jumps can be sketchy when you are not familiar with the power characteristics of the motor.

I've got nothing against FWWs (I run them on 250s) and rekluse clutches in general, but it just kills a part of my soul when I hear about folks putting such infernal devices on a 125!  A 125 needs grip and rip!  Your right hand should be fused full throttle, and your left hand should be cramping from all the clutch slipping.  Just thinking about it makes me want to blow off work today and ride!

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, kxrob said:

so , you want less snappy throttle response ?

Hm yeah I guess that's what I'm going for.

13 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Stock gearing for the 125 is 13/50 . I dont think i tooth would make enough difference for you. The problem with the 125 is the lack of bottom end. Anything more than a 48 tooth and the gap between gears would be more than you would want. If you don't want to rev it the easiest thing to do is shift up. You have 6 speeds. 

Well, that's what I do, but as I said, that's very slow.

2 hours ago, rpt50 said:

No no no no no.  To the OP--you either need to learn to ride a 125, or get a bike with a smoother powerband like a 250f.  I would urge you to give the 125 a chance.

Riding a 125 is all about aggression and being on the pipe.  Your gearing is fine.  Get a more experienced rider to take a spin and make sure everything else is fine with you bike, but I suspect you are just not yet used to how a 125 runs.  It will come with time and practice.  Is there a place where you can practice without jumps?  Listen to what the engines sound like when an experienced rider is on an 85, 100, or 125.  That is what you want your engine to sound like.  Work on getting comfortable with high rpm riding, and the jumps will come.  I agree that jumps can be sketchy when you are not familiar with the power characteristics of the motor.

I've got nothing against FWWs (I run them on 250s) and rekluse clutches in general, but it just kills a part of my soul when I hear about folks putting such infernal devices on a 125!  A 125 needs grip and rip!  Your right hand should be fused full throttle, and your left hand should be cramping from all the clutch slipping.  Just thinking about it makes me want to blow off work today and ride!

I tried a 2017 kx250f multiple times and I don't like it at all honestly.

I guess I'll have to get comfortable with revving. I don't like the sound it makes, it just seems like the engine will break at any moment, and the throttle is so snappy.

I'll try using ear plugs and see if I notice it less.

Thanks for the replies.

I trail ride a street legal 125 EXC and run as tall as 13/45 for highway use. Sucks the life out of the sand pits. 

Try swapping the front sprocket to get a feel for taller gearing. It is cheap and easy and 1 tooth on the front equals 3 on the back. 

Read up on powervalve tuning (mark where you start!) so you can smooth out the "hit" without killing power.

1 tooth on the rear may not make that much difference to others, but it IS a difference when the gearing is so low that it's hard to keep from over throttling it.

I agree with experimenting with PV tuning if that's an option on a 125.

There's also the G2 Throttle Tamer system that might work for you. It doesn't do anything to your current power output or gearing but it will spread the rpms across a wider twist of the throttle so it's not so "light switch" like. It comes with different cams for different throttle profiles.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1