Trail riding school

Sorry if this has been brought up before, didnt see anything in a search. I am looking for a good off road riding school to enhance my skills trail riding. Would like to stay close to the vancouver wa, portland or area. If anybody has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it, having trouble finding one on the web. Thanks

18 hours ago, Sheriffbigjake said:

Sorry if this has been brought up before, didnt see anything in a search. I am looking for a good off road riding school to enhance my skills trail riding. Would like to stay close to the vancouver wa, portland or area. If anybody has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate it, having trouble finding one on the web. Thanks

This might be of interest.

http://pssor.com/pssor-home

Look up Shane Watts. I have heard good stuff on their program. 

Shane Watts moved back to Australia a year or two ago.

I've had dirt bikes since I was 12 (47now) and was always a mx track rider and trails around the family farm,  on to fire rds and trails later in life, almost exclusively piloting 2 stroke 250s and never did worry about being too technical... throttle was just as good as skill in most cases. I was good on jumps and whoops but was lacking real control skills and good offroad technique.

Now I've found myself trail riding a 600cc beast of a bike and the majority of my riding is trails. 

It almost demands that i learn to really ride and make the bike do exactly what I want and go where it's supposed to or it will quickly do it's own thing and punish you for not paying attention. 

It's like a tractor... big, heavy, and sometimes cumbersome on the trail. Have you ever tried to blip a 300lb bike over a slick log or rock from a dead stop?

Its a new to me bike and ive made quite a few mods and its my first 4stroke amd the biggest dirtbike ive ever ridden so its been a bit of a learning experience. 

I've been working on my slow speed control, going over instead of around obstacles, holding my line, lofting the front, bouncing the suspension, etc.. 

I think training is valuable and key to learning new skills but going out and riding and challenging yourself is easy, fun, and if you have friends that ride you can challenge/push each other.

I'm always down to learn some new tricks.

Edited by nailit69
  • Like 1

Thanks everybody for the replies. Nailit, ive been trying new things and chalanging myself and my freinds i ride with, but am looking for some more profesional help with techniques and someone that could point out some of my bad habits that my freinds dont see due to their own bad habits. Was hoping to find one a bit closer than ive found so far, but the ones you all have pointed out look good.  Figured there might be one in the tillamook area, or mabye hood river or something, one i wouldnt have to add a hotel stay to the cost, but thats not looking too promising at this point. I do apreciate all the help so far

13 minutes ago, Sheriffbigjake said:

Thanks everybody for the replies. Nailit, ive been trying new things and chalanging myself and my freinds i ride with, but am looking for some more profesional help with techniques and someone that could point out some of my bad habits that my freinds dont see due to their own bad habits. Was hoping to find one a bit closer than ive found so far, but the ones you all have pointed out look good.  Figured there might be one in the tillamook area, or mabye hood river or something, one i wouldnt have to add a hotel stay to the cost, but thats not looking too promising at this point. I do apreciate all the help so far

I agree 100%... i was saying check out the training courses but there's nothing like experience and being familiar and comfortable with your bike which can only come from lots of seat time on that machine. Ive had mine for a little over 2 years (dont ride much in winter) and am just now really starting to be one with the bike. Finally getting it dialed in and used to its habits and quirks and feeling good on it... i could maybe go for a 200 and definitely a 300 course especially on the 600. I'm sure I have some bad habits that need breaking

Edited by nailit69

I second the PSSOR courses. I had my daughter take a kids beginner course. Went from being afraid to ride her DRZ70 to riding a TTR110 by days end. I was so impressed with their instructors I took an advanced off road course and loved it. It taught me riding rocks, jumping logs, and sand. Well worth the money. They moved from Roy, Wa out to Straddleline Race Park, so not sure how the sale of Straddleline has affected their course schedule.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:54 PM, AppDawg said:

I second the PSSOR courses. I had my daughter take a kids beginner course. Went from being afraid to ride her DRZ70 to riding a TTR110 by days end. I was so impressed with their instructors I took an advanced off road course and loved it. It taught me riding rocks, jumping logs, and sand. Well worth the money. They moved from Roy, Wa out to Straddleline Race Park, so not sure how the sale of Straddleline has affected their course schedule.

My wife was scheduled to take their course at Straddeline but they refunded her money. This was last year. I would be very interested in her getting some quality instruction so hopefully we can start riding together. She does fine on FS roads but gets terrified on 2track. She won't attempt single track at all. I am definately NOT an instructor. :facepalm: I'm not proud of it.

Edited by TahuyaRider
Spelling