Colorado eastern slope rides

At the risk of re-hashing something that has probably already been discussed....? We had a bike three day bike trip scheduled for Arkansas the last half of this week and it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate.  Since it a simmilar distance to the front range we thought that some of you may have some advise. Taylor park and Breckenridge are further than we would like to go in a truck. Here's our details: 5 guys from itermediate to good coming from central ks hoping to drop the trucks in Colorado Springs or thereabouts Thursday, head into the mountains, and get back Sunday to the trucks. We are not equipped to camp so we would need to end up near hotels at night. Basically,  looking for a beautiful ride on dirt with a mix of conditions. All bikes are plated. The starting point could be anywhere, just want to abandon the trucks asap. We are 6 hours from Denver or Colorado Springs so the starting point is flexible. I would personally prefer to get off maintained roads and see the sights. 

If there is a thread that covers this already just point me in that direction.  

Thanks 

Mountains are still buried in snow. Check the Bush Ducks Colorado pass page and the CODOT webcams.

Rampart Range near Colorado Springs may be do-able. Call a bike shop in the Springs to see.

The area between Colorado Springs and Salida may be good. Check out Texas Creek. Call the BLM office for current conditions.

Might be able to ride near Buena Vista OHV areas. Call a local rental shop to see.

If all else fails, it's only 5-6 more hours to Moab. :)

Good luck.

1 hour ago, cfr said:

Mountains are still buried in snow. Check the Bush Ducks Colorado pass page and the CODOT webcams.

Rampart Range near Colorado Springs may be do-able. Call a bike shop in the Springs to see.

The area between Colorado Springs and Salida may be good. Check out Texas Creek. Call the BLM office for current conditions.

Might be able to ride near Buena Vista OHV areas. Call a local rental shop to see.

If all else fails, it's only 5-6 more hours to Moab. :)

Good luck.

thanks cfr,

I had not even thought of all the snow. We have been golfing here for a while.

That is a lot of good info and I will definitely follow up later on when you melt. Moab is king, but not for a long weekend trip. We will have to make do for a this week. Thanks for taking the time to respond, 

Happy trails.

Based on what little I know of the area, and riding with plated off-road bikes, I would consider what cfr mentioned about COS to Rampart area.  From the backside of Garden of the Gods in COS you could access Rampart Range Road.  From there you have further access to (depending on how much fuel you can carry... or find) a ton of varied off road riding heading north out of COS on RR pass Rampart Reservoir up towards the Woodland Park area (plenty of fuel there).  From here you can head north on RR Road with various 4x4 spurs and eventually into Rainbow Falls OHV area.  If you instead went a few miles west of Woodland Park you could jump into the lower/southern portion of the 717's and another array of 4x4 spurs.  From Rainbow falls you could head north into the Rampart Range trail system or you could head west across 67 into the WestCreek area and access the NE portions of the 717's and 4x4's.  Or if you went west from Woodland Park you cold access all of the above.. just heading north and east from wherever you jump on (off of Trout Creek road perhaps).  

There's everything back in there from open gravel roads, to 4x4 jeep-ish roads, two track trails for razors and quads, tighter two track, single track trails and even some very rarely ridden trails on the edges.  In my mind there's more than enough to ride and explore in this small area for a long weekend.  Enough fuel would be my biggest concern... except that I usually can't ride any farther than my bike will actually go :lol: 

You could check out the CO Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) on the forest service website or from http://www.staythetrail.org/ for details of the areas around there.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If you are looking anywhere along the eastern slope, my vote is Rampart. I rode trail 770 at Rampart last week - super nice single track. YouTube has vids. We also did Penrose (near Canon City.) besides being dead ass empty and a few challenging rocky sections, Penrose didn't have much going for it.

• Like 1

And check out the Avenza Maps app. It's free and you can get MVUMs free - although it can be tricky finding what they are called/named in Avenza store. The app will show your location on the MVUM and it has tracking features. It's limited as far as gps software but good enough for me to explore (props to the park service for telling me about it.)

• Like 1

We are headed there tomorrow. Had hoped to avoid the rain east of us by heading west, but we will just have to give it a shot. Cold west and wet east. I appreciate all the feedback on this, I was born in Denver and lived in the Springs for a while before i had a motorcycle, so I am pumped about getting back out there and ride. If we had the time we'd go to Moab, it is great this time of year.