Damaged Case?

I didn't take a close look when I bought the bike so after leaving the bike sitting for a couple of weeks I saw a oil leak on the floor below the case - it must be a very slow leak but none the less a leak.  It looks like someone tried to weld the damage from the shifter but it is still leaking very slowly.  What options do I have? Where can I buy a replacement part? 

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

9 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The part is 154.16 at Motosport.com.

Your other option is to remove it, remove the stator, and take it to a competent tig weld.

Either or it's that not that bad. It sucks they didn't tell you about it.

Is that the correct part number? I can not find it on the site.  What is the name of the part?  It wasn't dealer's fault since it is a really slow leak.  Like I said - it was a very small puddle over a 2 week period.

Someone dropped the bike on its left side and the end of the footshifter punctured the stator cover.

After replacing the cover it would be very wise of you to remove the shifter and round off the backside of the tip with a large,smooth radius and install the TT case savers with a nice thick layer of rtv silicone sealant to protect the fragile magnesium clutch and stator covers from damage.

You can carefully reuse the original gasket by coating each side of it with a thin layer of grease.Carefully transfer the stator assembly being mindful of sealing the wire grommet with a dab of silicone like ThreeBond 1207B to prevent any potential oil leak.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

You need to fix it. Regardless if it is slow, if oil can get out, dirt and water can get in.

Thanks for the part number...will be ordering it.  I'll get it done when I get the big bore this summer.  Luckily this is my secondary bike.

TT Case Guards!  I think they are a must have if you are planning any amount of serious riding.  We did successfully repair the same type cover with similar damage from the shifter.  Remove stator cover per manual, clean and degrease the damaged are well.  JB weld the damaged area exterior only, sand smooth.  Re-install cover and TT case guard with the RTV black completely coating the back side of the case guard, including (especially) damaged area.  Worked well for us, 3 years and no leaks.  Also saved us the expense of a new cover.  Don't forget to file the shifter as noted in a prior post.

Thanks for the topic and also the replys, I always learn something here, now I need one more thing.