XR 200 problems

IMG_1003.thumb.JPG.8c7da71056ca524411fbab36ebca717b.JPGHey all, need some assistance... I have a 2002 XR200 I am trying to build for the wife to learn on.  I got it in pieces, guy said it smoked so I ordered a piston kit... put it all together and no start... I realized that I forgot the bolt in the end of the cam, thought it would start... nothing... my question is can the magneto be put on wrong? When the T mark is on the top near where it should be, the piston is at the bottom... so I used the piston as a guide, set the cam gear with the piston at the top of the compression stroke.  When I mounted the cam gear, the lobes were down.  As displayed in the pic... I am sure the carb has issues but I don't want to dump more money in it if there's a larger problem 

in the pic the piston is as close to the top as possible on the compression stroke 

forget the piston position.

The flywheel only goes on one way because it is indexed by the key. Install the left side cover.

If you assemble the timing chain with the cam lobes down, the "T" mark on the flywheel at the mark in the top of the upper timing hole in the side cover, the "0" mark (near one sprocket bolt hole) on the cam gear at the top aligned with the notch in the cam cover, the cam will be timed correctly.

Next is installing the advancer onto the cam; it is indexed by a small dowel pin. Have the flywheel at the "F" mark so the dowel hole is up.

And then set the ignition timing with the crank at the "F" mark and aligning the line on the advancer magnet with the line on the sensor by moving the sensor plate.

Edited by Chuck.

The double nuts are just because I had a bag of nuts and I didn't want to lose them, I am curious however, where are the acorn nuts supposed to go? And thanks for all the advice 

Ok, so the flywheel inner surface has a bend in it... not sure if the crank is bent or what, I ordered a puller.  I may not know this model of dirt bike but I know internal combustion engines, and that flywheel is on wrong... when I set it up like you described and line up the pulse generator line with the f, it's way off.  At no point in any stroke is that pulse generator rotor passing the pickup, while the piston is anywhere near the top of the cylinder.  The way it sits now, it would fire while it's almost at the bottom. 

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

The acorn nuts are for the cylinder studs, a shop manual shows them as does an online  part fiche.

The rear axle has the correct size and threads to be used as a puller for the flywheel, but I doubt that is your problem unless the key is sheared.  And the key is only to index the flywheel because the taper is what holds the flywheel to the crank. Just make sure both surfaces are clean and smooth and the bolt has correct torque. 

And who has been beating on hub of the flywheel? Those kind of blows with a steel hammer can damage the main bearings.

The two marks in the upper left of the first picture are the marks for full ignition advance.

Thanks chuck, to answer your question I have no idea who the hack was that did all this, I was going to use the axle but I found that they cross threaded that as well.  This started as a project to build the wife a learning bike, but is rapidly turning into a money pit. I am going to get a flywheel off eBay but I want to pull this one and make sure the cranks not bent.  

Ouch! Since the engine has signs of obvious abuse it probably didn't receive correct maintenance. Even with worn parts these engines will keep on running. 

You may be able to clean the threads enough in the flywheel with a metric 16x1.5 tap that you can pull the flywheel.

The flywheel uses an 8mm retaining bolt with a flange head and should be purchased from Honda, its length is dependent on the year of rotor, three lengths; 33, 40, and 45mm.

Now I don't believe I've seen that before.............!:facepalm:  Someone broke off the end of the crank and then welded it back on!  Wow............!

Old School Al

• Like 1

What a mess.  Because of the weld splatter on the chain tension linkage the welding was done with the crank in the bike. True shade tree mechanic.

8 hours ago, chadzu said:

It is possible to install the pulse rotor 180* out.

Not relative to the cam because of the small dowel pin, wo the dowel yes. The advancer can be assembled 180 out by not following the marks for installing the advancer magnet on the advancer body.

But the cam can be mis timed to the crank.

5 hours ago, Chuck. said:

What a mess.  Because of the weld splatter on the chain tension linkage the welding was done with the crank in the bike. True shade tree mechanic.

Not relative to the cam because of the small dowel pin, wo the dowel yes. The advancer can be assembled 180 out by not following the marks for installing the advancer magnet on the advancer body.

But the cam can be mis timed to the crank.

The rotor itself can be placed 180 out.  The bracket and the weights can't.  End result is motor wont run.

13 hours ago, TheLastOutlaw said:

what do you make of this? 

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

Wow! I've seen some hambone work before but this may be the hambonest. :lol:

3 hours ago, chadzu said:

The rotor itself can be placed 180 out.  The bracket and the weights can't.  End result is motor wont run.

I think we are saying the same thing but with different words for the parts because we like to use our own lay language instead of the Honda descriptions, so I thought a picture would help. 

I agree that it is very easy to assemble the Advancer 180 out. Number 3 is the Advancer Assembly, and the rotor, or magnet thing (no number, to the right of #10 ) can be assembled onto #4 with marks aligned,  or very easily 180 degrees out. The #3 assembly can only be placed onto the cam in only one position because of the locating dowel pin, which is easily lost if the engine is not at the "F" position with the dowel pin hole UP (on compression), and that is another timing problem. I put grease on the dowel and use tweezers to place it into the hole on the cam. 5900b46199732_PulseGenerator.gif.5c824bb34b3029acb29951fa4ad8e5d4.gif

Pulse Generator.png

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1