Cam chain noise - how do we fix it? (guide in the making)

My engine give a repeating ticking sound, almost like a chain. Of course I suspect the dreaded chain tensioner. I just found this video and my engine sounds _exactly_ like this. I have automatic cam chain tensioner (later revision ACCT, 2005 SM model, 8000 km/5000 miles).

Even though this is a common problem, I did not find any comprehensive guide/solution. So I'm writing this as one.

1. What method can one do to confirm the noise is from cam chain?
  2. Presuming one can confirm it - I guess one should get a MCCT. Where do one get it? (Pref in EU, not crap product =))
  3. I guess one should "reset" the ACCT while waiting for the MCCT. How do one do it?
  4. I very much hope one don't have to change cam chain - how can one determine? I guess if the ACCT reset and MCCT installation does not eliminate ticking - then you need new chain, yes?
  5. Will it damage to engine to ride like this until it is fixed?

53 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The chain makes noise. So does the valves, auto decomp, piston and every other moving part in the engine.

The DRZ is a noisy engine.
See the FAQ's for installation of the mcct

Ok, so basically the noise is normal and no immediate need for mcct? 

That's exactly how my engine sounds also. And I've just rebuilt my motor, looking for noise issues. Everything's in spec. and now I just except that is a noisey mechanical engine.

Edited by bucket list
  • Like 1

If you want to reset the Acct,set the timing to TDC so all the valves are closed and the cams don't kick back while you're doing the work.Remove the large bolt in the center of the tensioner then remove the two smaller screws that attach it to the motor.Carefully remove it so that the gasket doesn't tear because it will be reused.Now that you have the tensioner in your hands release the pawl and push the tensioner shaft all the way back into the housing.Reinstall the tensioner in the motor with the two small screws.Reinstall the bolt in the center and snug down.Rotate the crank a few revolutions to make sure everything is ok and replace the timing and inspection plugs.