Moab trail-building opportunity at Dubinky!

A few miles south of the White Wash sand dunes, the BLM is permitting Ride with Respect to construct four miles of new trail that will help to connect the Red Wash, Dead Cow, and Tenmile areas.

It's mostly across slickrock, which is too far away to paint every year, so the main job is drilling holes and driving marker posts (for motorcycle or ATV riding from post to post across the slickrock).

Over the next month, it'll take a few days of work each week, and RwR is flexible on the dates. For anyone who volunteers a half-day, we'll feed you lunch and suggest trails to ride in the surrounding area.

The BLM is contributing a few-thousand dollars' worth of sign supplies and installation tools. Please help us show them that OHV riders will support projects to improve recreation.

Clif Koontz

Executive Director

Ride with Respect

435-259-8334

Dubinky trails.jpg

Edited by land lover
added contact info
  • Like 2

Sorry for taking all week to reply. We're really encouraged by the widespread response.

I won't have all my ducks in a row (including BLM's motorized tools and sign materials) until May 10th. We can go any days after that except May 16th and 19th.

Please PM me or call 435-259-8334 with your preferred dates / times / meeting places. The RwR crew will go from Moab to Blue Hills Road to Tenmile Point Road, and we could meet you anywhere along the way. We could also meet up at White Wash if that's easier for you.

The trail will be open to vehicles under 52" wide. If you have a side-by-side/ATV/motorcycle for hauling yourself and supplies, great. Otherwise we don't mind picking people up, either!

p.s.  "2012 450 xc-w," we would go easy on your ribs, appreciate anymore volunteers you can wrangle, and look forward to seeing BLM staff from any other field offices.

• 2 weeks later...

Since RwR has received great response from riders volunteering their time, we have started making the new trail, and will continue there tomorrow.

If you have yet to join us, please pick an even date after May 19th. In other words, RwR will work there on May 20th, 22nd, 24th, 26th, 28th, and 30th. If more than one date would work, let me know, so we can spread out the help across those six days.

It's great to see the BLM's support matched by motorcycle and ATV riders. The new loop should be relatively safe, sustainable, and satisfying to ride this fall.

p.s.  Since last fall, our most avid volunteer by far has been Scott Stevenson of 3 Step Hideaway (photo below). At the base of the Abajo Mountains, 3 Step stays cool, while summer approaches down in Moab. As much as we love Scott and Julie, I hope they can be dethroned by new trail champions!

3 Step Hideaway volunteer work for RwR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We're making good headway on building the new route to connect Red Wash / Dead Cow / Tenmile areas, but we could still use a lot more volunteers to finish up in the next couple weeks.

Fortunately it's forecast to remain cool through May, so I hope to hear from more volunteers. Again, we're working on the 22nd, 24th, 26th, 29th, 30th, and probably through the first week of June.

Last week, Burt and crew from TUGGER lift straps (photo below) gave Scott from 3 Step a run for his money, but Scott will be back on the 26th to keep a healthy competition!

TUGGER lift-straps volunteer work for RwR.jpg

Volunteers from as far as New York City are plugging away (photo's below), and the mornings are still cool, which is all the time you need to earn a "free" lunch.

The next work dates are this Thursday and Friday, 6/1 and 6/2.

We hope to get a few more volunteers to finish strong!

Ron Palm volunteer work for RwR.jpg

Utah State Parks and Brett Stewart volunteer work for RwR.jpg

3 Step Hideaway and friends volunteer work for RwR.jpg