Stiff clutch and gearing advice (unrelated issues) on my 2013 250 xcf

So I bought this 2013 250xcf that was blown up from oil leaking out of drain bolt... Bike looked to have very low hours. I rebuilt it a few weeks ago after splitting cases and what not. I've since put a dozen hours on from harescrambles and trail riding. I have two unrelated problems, but wanted to keep one forum.

The clutch is Stiff! My buddy's 12 250xcf and 15 300 clutches are way softer. Is this just how the 13s were? As far as I know it has stock springs in. I read that the slave cylinder could possibly be bound up in the case. I installed a EE slave guard when I put everything together so maybe that's causing the problem? I did not feel the clutch before the guard.

second is what sprocket sizes do people who ride enduro/harescrambles recommend? Single track. Today I raced the harescrambke in Millville, nj ( I think it's called Orman farm or something) and I was in second gear the whole time for the most part and had to feather the clutch a little around turns where 1st gear is just too low. I'm running 13/51 just like my buddy who has a 12 250xcf and he's says he's in 3rd-4th the whole time. We are about the same speed. Is his gearbox way different than mine or am I just too slow in corners and loosing too much momentum. Any feedback from people who race would be appreciated.

thanks so much if you can help me out.

• Like 1

the 13's had the spring clutch in them making them really hard to pull, i use to have a 13 350SX-F and the most hated thing about that bike was the darn clutch. they are just like that, the 13 2 strokes had the washer clutch and were much better. my new 450 also has the washer clutch but isn't as smooth as my two strokes clutch. It's just what KTM put on that year :/ 

As for gearing on a 250 i would do 13 50 or 13 51. it's what i did and it worked fine for single trail, i still finger bang that clutch everytime i'm in the trail :D

hope this helped

• Like 1

Oh ok that pretty much answered my question.. I was worried something was broken, but now I just have to deal with it. Do the 14s and 15s have the same clutch springs?

Google ktm magic lever by Midwest

My 15 ktm250sxf has a stiff clutch pull and after 2-3 hours of trail riding it starts to get really hard to use the clutch and I use it a lot on the tight single track. I'm looking into levers but don't know if I want to spend the money.

Yeah same here but I think that's just me getting tired.

the ktm Magic lever. Does that just use extra leverage? Does it make the length of pull much longer to disengage clutch?

thanks for the help!

It uses extra leverage but the pull isn't long

Alright I might look into levers or just deal with it. At least I know nothing's wrong with the clutch. Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate it