Transporting Bike in Van with Low Ceiling using Holeshot Device

Hey all,

Recently a moto track opened up 20 minutes from where is live. Until now, the nearest riding was a minimum of an hour and fifteen minutes away so hitching up a trailer to the van wasn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things. 

I have a 1998 Chevy Astro van and unfortunately my bike is just too tall to clear a low hanging portion of the roof that supports the rear window and its hydraulics. It will fit an 85 2 stroke no problem but a full size bike is just too tall. Would it be possible to use a holeshot device to lower the bike enough to load it? I have measured the bars and they will clear the roof once you are past that initial part. How much does a holeshot device lower the forks and would there be danger of the forks decompressing during loading? I have never used one before. Let me know what your thoughts are. If this method proves too difficult I may just invest in a hitch carrier.

1 hour ago, 91kdx25088 said:

if it fits it will be fine. not sure what you mean by decompressing.

I'm worried about the holeshot device unlatching and the forks springing up during loading.

• Like 1

I'd hook a ratchet strap to the bikes axle and the other end to the bars, one on each side and crank it down just enough to fit in. In the van, you are going to want to tie it down further compressing the forks. Then re-attach the straps, compress a little more so you can remove the tie downs and roll the bike out.

• Like 2

bounce on the bike a bit with the holeshot device engaged and see what it takes for it to come unlatched. I highly doubt it would come unlatched while loading it. you shouldn't have to apply any serious forces to the forks to be able to push it up a ramp into a van, they aren't that high. obviously once in the van strap it down via the bars.