Will this work?

So I got a bad water pump gasket so I drained out all of my coolant. My question was can I use like peak or prestone 50/50 pre diluted antifreeze in the radiator? If not what can I use?

Yes any low silicate & aluminium compatible antifreeze/coolant is fine.

Make sure you thoroughly flush out all the old coolant from the system with water,

(never mix different coolant types together)

Ideally use deionised or distilled water for your 50/50 mix, avoid hard or high mineral content tap or well water.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Yes any low silicate & aluminium compatible antifreeze/coolant is fine.

Make sure you thoroughly flush out all the old coolant from the system with water,

(never mix different coolant types together)

Ideally use deionised or distilled water for your 50/50 mix, avoid hard or high mineral content tap or well water.

just to clarify something that was said. if you mix two different coolants they can coagulate, so like was said flush out ALL the old coolant.

8 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

just to clarify something that was said. if you mix two different coolants they can coagulate, so like was said flush out ALL the old coolant.

Never seen it myself.  Heard the same thing about premix, never seen it there either.

Just get the universal all makes stuff at the auto parts store and run it.  Just about anything works.  I've used green stuff, blue stuff, yellow stuff, orange stuff.  They all have corrosion inhibitors and they all work fine.

I buy the full strength gallons of prestone all make/models green stuff which is silicate free. Grab a gallon of distilled h2o and you have 2 gallons of 50/50 for $12.

1 hour ago, MatthewMCRepair said:

I buy the full strength gallons of prestone all make/models green stuff which is silicate free. Grab a gallon of distilled h2o and you have 2 gallons of 50/50 for $12.

Sounds good!

On 4/24/2017 at 8:36 AM, turbo dan said:

Never seen it myself.  Heard the same thing about premix, never seen it there either.

Just get the universal all makes stuff at the auto parts store and run it.  Just about anything works.  I've used green stuff, blue stuff, yellow stuff, orange stuff.  They all have corrosion inhibitors and they all work fine.

I ended up buying some zerex low silicate antifreeze from the local auto parts store