Jump to content

Will this work?

Recommended Posts

So I got a bad water pump gasket so I drained out all of my coolant. My question was can I use like peak or prestone 50/50 pre diluted antifreeze in the radiator? If not what can I use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes any low silicate & aluminium compatible antifreeze/coolant is fine.

 

Make sure you thoroughly flush out all the old coolant from the system with water,

(never mix different coolant types together)

Ideally use deionised or distilled water for your 50/50 mix, avoid hard or high mineral content tap or well water.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Yes any low silicate & aluminium compatible antifreeze/coolant is fine.

 

Make sure you thoroughly flush out all the old coolant from the system with water,

(never mix different coolant types together)

Ideally use deionised or distilled water for your 50/50 mix, avoid hard or high mineral content tap or well water.

just to clarify something that was said. if you mix two different coolants they can coagulate, so like was said flush out ALL the old coolant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 91kdx25088 said:

just to clarify something that was said. if you mix two different coolants they can coagulate, so like was said flush out ALL the old coolant.

Never seen it myself.  Heard the same thing about premix, never seen it there either.

Just get the universal all makes stuff at the auto parts store and run it.  Just about anything works.  I've used green stuff, blue stuff, yellow stuff, orange stuff.  They all have corrosion inhibitors and they all work fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy the full strength gallons of prestone all make/models green stuff which is silicate free. Grab a gallon of distilled h2o and you have 2 gallons of 50/50 for $12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MatthewMCRepair said:

I buy the full strength gallons of prestone all make/models green stuff which is silicate free. Grab a gallon of distilled h2o and you have 2 gallons of 50/50 for $12.

Sounds good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2017 at 8:36 AM, turbo dan said:

Never seen it myself.  Heard the same thing about premix, never seen it there either.

Just get the universal all makes stuff at the auto parts store and run it.  Just about anything works.  I've used green stuff, blue stuff, yellow stuff, orange stuff.  They all have corrosion inhibitors and they all work fine.

I ended up buying some zerex low silicate antifreeze from the local auto parts store

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×